Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Cooking with wine during pregnancy

(19 Posts)
Bejeena Fri 01-Feb-13 10:44:38

So I have googled and most information I have read said it is fine.

What have you done personally? I want to make a seafood stew tonight and would normally put white wine in it.

I am 11+3 and have been following strictly no alcohol drinking and to be honest I could face the thought of drinking anyway, am being sick to much and I always associate that with booze!

But is cooking with a bit of wine ok? What have other pregnant ladies done?

Thanks in advance for opinions/advice!

PetiteRaleuse Fri 01-Feb-13 10:48:44

I didn't give it a second thought. I often cook with wine and continued to do so during my pregnancies.

MisselthwaiteManor Fri 01-Feb-13 10:50:03

I have cooked with wine, as long as you heat it thoroughly the alcohol burns away.

Flisspaps Fri 01-Feb-13 11:04:10

I cooked with wine during both of mine. Then again, I had a glass of raw wine on a Saturday night with both of them too.

Msbluesky32 Fri 01-Feb-13 11:06:38

Me too, I made a linguine the other day and used a small glass sized bottle of wine in it - Im sure its fine as the alcohol is burnt off in the cooking process

Whyriskit Fri 01-Feb-13 11:07:57

Currently 8+ weeks and have just made a lovely french onion soup with white wine and cognac. Don't think it's a problem!

LouiseD29 Fri 01-Feb-13 11:09:56

I'm a vegetarian and we had dinner at my FIL's house when I was about 7 weeks and, bless him, he tried out a new veggie recipe for my benefit that was swimming in red wine. I just got on with it! Haven't actually had any drinks myself but not been worried about a bit of booze in food. Think all the alcohol has burned off anyway. In fact, I'm thinking of doing a risotto tonight with white wine in it.

cassell Fri 01-Feb-13 11:09:57

Absolutely - have cooked with wine during both my pgs, most of the alcohol evaporates during cooking anyway especially with something slow cooked like a stew.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 01-Feb-13 11:10:46

Wouldn't have occurred to me to stop using it.

Pascha Fri 01-Feb-13 11:12:59

I just carried on regardless. I don't think a glass of wine in a cooked meal is going to have any effect whatsoever on the pregnancy.

Bejeena Fri 01-Feb-13 11:22:25

OK lovely thanks, I had assumed that it was probably ok but you know what it is like sometimes a girl needs a bit of reassurance, no matter how easy the answer may be!

weeblueberry Fri 01-Feb-13 12:13:13

Yep I had a bit of a wobble about it too but ended up slothing some red into the spaghetti sauce. Tastes horrid without it. wink

FoofFighter Fri 01-Feb-13 14:40:05

grin @ raw wine hahahaha

Yes it's absolutely fine as the alcohol will evaporate leaving just the wine flavours. Enjoy!

TwitchyTail Fri 01-Feb-13 17:07:11

It's fine, the alcohol evaporates if you cook it properly. I don't drink alcohol at all (in pregnancy or otherwise) but am quite happy to eat it and it's never had the least effect on me grin

Springforward Fri 01-Feb-13 17:39:32

Yes, I still cook with wine even though I choose not to drink alcohol while pregnant. FWIW my mw thinks that the 1-2 units once or twice a week thing is fine after 1st trimester, so even if you didn't burn it all off I doubt you'd eat a unit's worth?

NOOEYOUKNOW Wed 12-Apr-17 20:47:23

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

arbrighton Wed 12-Apr-17 20:58:49

Nooey, have you actually looked at the evidence, e.g. as outlined in Expecting Better by Emily Oster?

And given boiling point of ethanol is around 80 degrees, chances are it will boil off, especially as it tends to be added to a very hot pan.

Brugmansia Wed 12-Apr-17 21:11:51

How odd to resurrect a 4 year old thread for that little rant.

arbrighton Wed 12-Apr-17 21:40:06

Oh god I didn't even notice that.

But yeah, WEIRD or what

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now