Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Addicted to MN. Will it run its course?

(46 Posts)
spidermama Wed 06-Jul-05 12:04:02

My name is Spider Mama and I am an MN-aholic.

There. It's out.

I've only being doing mn chat for about a week and already my house is untidy, my dh is negected and I'm staying up late.

This can't go on. Will it run its course like my ebay addiction did? I need to see an end to this.

jessicaandbumpsmummy Wed 06-Jul-05 12:04:58

no it wont.... ive been here nearly a year!

MarsLady Wed 06-Jul-05 12:06:05

Of course it will end! When computers explode and the planet follows suit!

Mum2girls Wed 06-Jul-05 12:07:36

D'you see those pigs flying past your window.....?

spidermama Wed 06-Jul-05 12:08:22

I was introduced to this by a friend who's also a user. I thought if I tried it once it couldn't do any harm.

edam Wed 06-Jul-05 12:10:28

ROFL spidermama. You're one of us now...<<mad cackle>>

Actually I find it comes in waves. Been here about 18 months, been through stages of major addiction and others when I barely checked or posted at all for several months. Depends what else is going on. But when the need is on me, I do find myself staying up late, or spending time on here rather than contact RL friends. Have to make a real effort to do real life as well as MN.

LIZS Wed 06-Jul-05 12:13:36

me too , but will have to go cold turkey for a while when we move at the end of the month.

flashingnose Wed 06-Jul-05 12:13:39

One thing that helps is never ever start threads yourself, because you have to keep checking them...

Fio2 Wed 06-Jul-05 12:18:26

I think you have to set yourself limits, like not doing weekends and evenings, so that you dont neglect your loved ones. My H was getting seriously pissed off as I was on here constantly, so now when he is at home I dont use the computer (ok i lurk sometimes) plus I try to only use it maybe an hour in a morning and a little late afternoon, but fgs I have wasted a whole morning on here today

handlemecarefully Wed 06-Jul-05 12:19:58

you're in for the long haul.

I've done so little work today (I mumsnet mostly during my 3 days at 'work')again

spidermama Wed 06-Jul-05 12:22:22

I'm trying that Fio. Was in kitchen with DH last night twiddling my thumbs and pretending to be interested in what he was saying. Then it's ... 'I'm just going to .... er ... check the kids, or somethihng. Won't be a sec ...'

Get a grip, get a grip, get a grip!

Weatherwax Wed 06-Jul-05 13:40:25

My addiction is so bad my DH knows what thread I'm looking for. Today I'm worried about Peter and I can't get away from the machine, lord above knows how missdee is coping and the other night I was worried that no one else was replying to someones thread and I felt I was being no help. I'm addicted and I cant help anyone! The pigs have given up round here

Donbean Wed 06-Jul-05 13:46:05

my names Donbean and ive been addicted for about 10 months now.
It all started as an innocent search via google.
I have now hooked 2 friends onto it and i too am ashamed.
It really does help to get it off your chest doesnt it.
My washing basket is forever bieng "emptied" next to the office. However, we have now all ran out of ironed clothing as i havent done any since september 2004. such is my addiction.

munz Wed 06-Jul-05 13:47:35

nope def not i've been here 9 motnhs in fact my addictions getting worse! lol. esp with BB at work!

Donbean Wed 06-Jul-05 13:47:44

Also, no matter how many threads i kill, i cant help myself, i have to come back to check that they really are deader than dead.
And they always are

jamiesam Wed 06-Jul-05 13:48:13

Ha ha ha

My dh took a day off work yesterday to clean and tidy the house!

Donbean Wed 06-Jul-05 13:49:08

RESPECT Jamiesam!

Twiglett Wed 06-Jul-05 13:49:29

yeah I used to be addicted but I'm not any more

SNURK

Donbean Wed 06-Jul-05 13:51:30

DENIAL Twiglett

Twiglett Wed 06-Jul-05 13:53:08

what's egypt got to do with it??

sorrel Wed 06-Jul-05 13:56:32

spidermama- i just came on here for a winge a year ago and i am still here. The recent broadband installation at oour house has made it much worse. Avoid it at all costs.

Donbean Wed 06-Jul-05 13:57:57

hahahaha (i still say that cyber laughter is innefective)
Denial!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

trace2 Wed 06-Jul-05 14:03:13

me too my house as never been as bad, my friends think am ill because they never seen my house like it is at the moment.

jamiesam Wed 06-Jul-05 21:31:18

Thanks Donbean.

Mentioned to dh what I'd posted. He asked if he'd had any proposals of marriage yet. He didn't know about the member profile/photo topic. He does now! He's so scared in case I learn how to post a photo - sadly no chance!

Blu Wed 06-Jul-05 21:34:47

Spidermama - I missed my train on Friday, because I was busy on your frocks thread, and was so horrified by my level of addiction that i have considered getting myself banned.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: