4th birthday party entertainment recommendations?

(10 Posts)
DailyMailGOFuckOff Mon 30-May-16 21:51:14

I need to throw a party. I swore I wasn't ever doing parties but his heart is set on one. He's been to two parties which are going to be hard to live up to - one a rugby party, another had a magic show/disco. I know it's going to cost more but honestly it was so much less stressful having someone else "entertain" from what I saw...

Without totally copying, can you suggest or recommend some different entertainment ideas?

kiki22 Mon 30-May-16 23:00:14

I would go with the classic bouncy castle every part mine have been to with one has been a winner especially at that age they can just run free

DailyMailGOFuckOff Mon 30-May-16 23:03:45

My thing about castles is the amount of injuries at each party we've been to... It would be simplest and they'd love it but I was the mum of the bloodied nose child the last we went to sad

RatOnnaStick Mon 30-May-16 23:08:58

Ds1 requested the local soft play for which I was truly thankful as, despite loathing the places, they have the distinct advantage of being able to turn up for 2 hours, play, eat, cake and fuck off home again.

DailyMailGOFuckOff Mon 30-May-16 23:50:10

Soft play is an idea - only problem is not driving and needing to transport stuff but maybe hiring a soft play to the hall next door. They're not too old at 4 (guests would be up to 7yrs)

kiki22 Tue 31-May-16 17:33:51

The injuries are part of the fun I fractured my heel on one and lived on that story for years grin

What about a soft play bus if you have somewhere they can park?

knittingbee Tue 31-May-16 19:35:34

I'd advocate as little structure in the way of games etc as possible - we've been to 4yo parties and they really don't enjoy pass the parcel or whatever. Hire a local hall, get a load of helium balloons and cheap inflatables, stick some tunes on and let them run about chucking stuff at each other. Then balloons and cake in the party bags. Bosh.

Loupee Tue 31-May-16 19:41:35

I'm getting on of DH's friends to dress up as Spider-Man for DS's 4th birthday in a couple of months.
He is Spider-Man daft though and I know he will absolutely love this. I am just buying the costume, cheaper than hiring a mascot

DailyMailGOFuckOff Tue 31-May-16 21:36:21

All good ideas, thanks! Not sure there's room to park a party bus by us but there's a cheap hall.

Hiring/buying a costume sounds a good idea rather than affording a mascot

CuntingDMjournos Tue 31-May-16 21:41:53

I am a veteran of parties (about 15 to my name so far - three kids) and the easiest by far is soft play. Soft play generally will do everything for you, even make party bags if you so desire and source a cake. But a cake box and a bag of party bags should be OK to travel via bus etc? There's really nothing else you need to take.

Otherwise I have done for fourth birthdays about 10 friends at home, bouncy castle and a treasure hunt (basically just sweets hidden in the garden), pass the parcel (everyone must get a prize) and maybe musical bumps or pin the tail on the donkey type game. A million times more work than soft play. If you do do a hall a bouncy castle and some games is the cheap option and boxes for food so you can just chuck and go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now