Talk

Advanced search

Who provides the snacks at your childs preschool?

(15 Posts)
nldm1 Mon 03-Mar-14 19:07:53

At the preschool DD goes to, we take in two items of healthy snack every full day she goes in. All of the snack foods are shared by all of the kids in that day.
I was just wondering if it's the norm for parents to provide the snack themselves...?

Iammelting Mon 03-Mar-14 19:09:46

We do the same, Pre schools are a charity & only receive a small milk grant per child.

hazeyjane Mon 03-Mar-14 19:11:02

At the preschool my dds attended the parents provided fruit and something like cheese/mini sausages etc and the preschool provided stuff like breadsticks.

At ds's preschool, they provide all the snack, but it is much smaller (which I prefer, it was like a flipping banquet at the other preschool!)

DevonFolk Mon 03-Mar-14 19:12:24

DD's pre-school provides all fruit snacks and milk.

Eletheomel Mon 03-Mar-14 20:00:39

DS attended the local playgroup from 3-4 and is at the local nursery for years 4-5 and in both places snacks were provided but parents have to pay a fee to help pay for it. So, we pay a pound a week at nursery and at playgroup we paid 2 pounds a week (that provided for snacks and went towards outings etc).

Was happy to pay the fee at playgroup (the snack set up was great) but nursery seem to rely on packets of biscuits a couple of times a week which I'm not happy about (but theyr'e a bit 'slap dash' for a lot of things so reckon they're going for what's cheap and easy for them).

omama Mon 03-Mar-14 21:59:26

DS's preschool provide snacks -typically fruit, breadsticks, crackers, cheese or veg/salad plus a choice of drink: water, milk, juice

Awitchwithoutchips Mon 03-Mar-14 23:16:36

Pre-school provide snacks, raisins, cheese, cucumber, brown toast, apple etc changes from day to day and milk or water

MummyLuce Tue 04-Mar-14 10:04:22

Can someone advise me here... I was totally under the impression that all pre-schools are basically private and you have to pay fees anyway, unless the cost is covered by the 15 hours a week you get free?? At my dd's nursery we pay around 80 a day until she is 3 then we get 15 hours of that for free. Are there some preschools which are completely free? x

Eletheomel Tue 04-Mar-14 10:34:14

I'm in Scotland so kids attend school for 2 preschool years (from age 3) then start school age five. For each of your preschool years, your child attends for 2.5 hours a day and this is free (apart from snack costs in our area). I think some preschools in some areas might be open for longer and parents may pay for that above your 2.5 hours a day that is provided. Not sure what the situation is down south.

TheRaniOfYawn Tue 04-Mar-14 10:54:15

DS goes to the preschool which is part of the Early Years class at the local primary school and also to a private playgroup. Snacks are provided for free in both settings and he goes for 15 hours so I don't pay anything.

EasterHoliday Tue 04-Mar-14 10:58:55

with DD, they provided fruit and breadsticks. When their funding was reduced, with DS one child took fruit for the whole group so you had to supply fruit for about 20 once every 3 weeks - and fruit provider of the day got to go into the kitchen and help prepare it that day. it was seen as a great perk, and there were endless discussions about which fruit (or, controversially, raw veg) he'd take in when it was his turn.

therunnawaybride Tue 04-Mar-14 11:06:15

Dd goes to the same pre-school that ds went to and they've always provided snacks and drinks (milk or water) I'm in Devon.

Thumbwitch Tue 04-Mar-14 11:06:34

In both the preschools DS1 went to, we provided his snacks. But as well as his own snacks/lunch, with one of them we were also supposed to take in a separate piece of fruit that could be cut and shared between all the children, presumably to broaden their variety.

There were also quite strict limits as to what could be taken in - no chocolate, no nuts, no crisps, no sweets, no juice.

It was great! Set DS1 up brilliantly for school - the only difference between his lunch now and at preschool is that now he can have a fruity yoghurt, whereas preschool said plain or nothing.

Thumbwitch Tue 04-Mar-14 11:07:44

I should have said that DS1's hours at preschool were 9-3 (one of them) and 9:30 - 5 (the other one) - he did one day a week at each.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 04-Mar-14 14:14:08

Dd went to a private nursery for her preschool sessions so they provided the snacks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now