Talk

Advanced search

If you were invited to a birthday party at a cocktail bar.....

(12 Posts)
treacletart Mon 23-May-05 18:44:57

...would you expect to have to pay for your drinks?

I'm trying to organise DH's 40th and have booked a lovely cocktail bar for the night. We can only afford to give everyone their first drink but I was hoping not to refer to this or to a paybar on the invites, because I think it looks really tacky . I'm hoping our guests will expect to have to pay and be nicely surprised by a welcome freebie. But I'd also hate for people to expect free drinks all night and be disappointed. What do you think??

moondog Mon 23-May-05 18:48:44

This is so tricky. You're bound to have a misunderstanding one way or another. How about a jokey 'First one is on the birthday boy!' message on the invite? Are you providing nibbles and/or food?

I have to say,that if I was invited to a party and all I got was one drink,I'd be a bit pissed off and would actually be happier with a bit of a do at someone's house,to which of course I'd bring a few bottles.

(Intersted in this,because i'm thinking of something for my dh.)

anchovies Mon 23-May-05 18:51:13

I wouldn't expect the drinks to be paid for (and would love a night out in a lovely cocktail bar!)but agree that "first one's on the birthday boy" would clarify it just in case.

SoupDragon Mon 23-May-05 18:54:40

I wouldn't expect drinks to be free all night but it's best to clarify this on the invitation.

I don't think I've ever been to a wedding where drinks were free all night so I wouldn't expect it of a birthday party (No, I've been to one "free bar" wedding actually, last year).

Whizzz Mon 23-May-05 19:03:46

Agree, I would try & make a joke out of it on the invite so that it was clear to everyone. Or put a 'Cocktail Token' on the invite ??
If it was me, I don't I would expect free drinks all night though (not unless you were millionaires !)

treacletart Mon 23-May-05 19:44:52

cheers girls.

No were far from millionaires! But there will be some nibbles. Were doing it a bar because our house is much too small for a party and we go out so rarely nowadays I thought it might make a nice change - also no problem with noise, getting enough glasses, or clearing up after!

Now, next question... If we do it at the weekend it'll cost £175. If we do it on the Tuesday (his actual birthday) its free and we get a bigger/nicer room - will all our mates hate us for making them drink cocktails on a schoolnight?

Whizzz Mon 23-May-05 19:46:43

Hmmm - Work with hangover is not good. IMO, a Thursday would be better if it has to be a school night.

bakedpotato Mon 23-May-05 19:47:21

if you do it on the tues, would you put the saved cash behind the bar? in which case they'd forgive you.

Hulababy Mon 23-May-05 19:59:11

I wouldn't expect drinks to be free; maybe just the first. I do like the idea of the cocktail token though.

Hulababy Mon 23-May-05 20:00:02

You could have all the tokens collected together when used to "pay" and have some form of lucky draw - if named/numbered - for a nominal prize for a bit of fun.

treacletart Mon 23-May-05 20:05:13

top idea about Thursday night Whizz, but sadly Ive just checked and it would count the same as a weekend as far as bookings are concerned. I'd much rather spend the money on booze!

moondog Mon 23-May-05 21:17:54

Do it on his birthday! I'd welcome the chance of a little fun in the week as would everyone else I'm sure. (And at this stately age,gratuitous piss-ups are done and dusted surely?!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now