Talk

Advanced search

Not eating pork

(30 Posts)
SahmOldSameOld Sun 06-Jan-13 22:23:47

One of the few practices of my faith which I observe is not to eat pork, and I do not give my 4 yo DD pork to eat either.

How do I best explain to my DD why she can't eat ham sandwiches like the other children at birthday parties?

To confuse matters, DH is not of the same faith and does eat pork...

thewhistler Fri 22-Mar-13 13:44:44

I think startail's view is good.

I would also offer, having been brought up in levantine countries, that pigs are scavengers, running semi wild eating the refuse ( or they were in my childhood) and people don't want to eat such an animal. And pork ( and shellfish, also scavengers) go off fast. So the dietary laws make sense in the countries where they were created.

In terms of your own choices, I think you can say that you just wouldn't, and seeing her do so would upset your family. But you could also add that when she is grown up it will be her choice.

Then grab those turkey slices and pretend they are pork (expect flame "lying to your child"), just as one of my cousins had to tell his four year old that everything including sprouts was venison and I had to tell next doors 4 year old that roast lamb was burger.

If you make a mystery of it she will want it more.

Moominsarehippos Fri 22-Mar-13 13:51:20

Wait until the party bags start rolling in. Haribo contains pork gelatin doesn't it?

doughnut44 Mon 13-May-13 15:10:59

I know I am late in this conversation. I just wanted to know what you told your daughter op?

Mima0 Fri 23-Jun-17 09:53:39

Just a piece of advice: don't tell your child that you don't and they can't eat pork because it's a dirty animal, or things along this line. Maybe pork meat was unsafe to eat in certain circumstances once upon a time, but this is not certainly the reason why you shouldn't be eating it nowadays. Besides, in some cultures, different types of hams were invented in order to preserve the meat safely for very long stretches of time. In certain countries, like Italy, ham it's given to sick people at the hospital. So scaring them with the idea that ham or other pork meat is unsafe and unsanitary is nonsense and will one day come back to you. Moreover, they might go around their friends repeating this "dirty meat-dirty animals" mantra (it's happened to us) which won't be very nice for their friends to hear and might hurt them, or your children might feel confused if one day their pork-eating friends tell them that is totally safe to eat pork. So if you want your children not to eat meat, tell them that it is your religion and culture, but don't blame it on the pigs. And like all of us from different culture should do, teach them to embrace their culture without imposing it on the others or shaming the others on its base. (hence, let your husband eat pork and let your children know they will be able to decide what to do about it once they reach a certain age, if you like).

Thedifferant1 Fri 30-Jun-17 07:33:26

I m a practising Muslim. I like the idea of being clear and simple. i.e "mummy and daddy has different religions.... every religion has a number or rules to follow. . " I feel it s difficult to instruct the child to follow one and not the other or not be free to make choices. On what basis you have decided for 4 yo DD to follow your religion's rules and not the father's... you have your reasons.. the child need to be explained.. perhaps " mummy and daddy agreed that you ll follow some ( the best of) rules from every religion or you have decided it's better to follow such religion first.. then read about the other.... something like that.
However.. I also re- inforce the idea of what really matters for you in terms of being a Muslim and what is common between you and your husband , these are the things that should be " over" emphasised among the family. Last point is respect to the wider family culture ( visiting in laws) that's a complicated idea, can be introduced later on . I prefer to separate culture from faith with my children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now