(204 Posts)
BIWI Mon 22-Jan-18 05:37:30

Asparagus Frittata (serves 2)

250g/9oz asparagus, trimmed and cut into 5cm/2in pieces
4 eggs
4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese
225g/8oz spring onions, finely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil

- Cook asparagus in boiling water until tender (7-10 minutes)
- Whisk the eggs and add the cheese and the spring onions
- Pre-heat the grill
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan that can go under the grill
- Put in the asparagus; stir-fry for a minute, then pour in the eaten eggs, moving the asparagus around gently to make sure the egg mixture gets right through, and that the grated cheese is well distributed
- Let the frittata cook over a moderate heat for a few minutes until the underside is cooked and lightly browned, then put the pan under a hot grill for a minute or two until the top is set and golden brown

5.5g carbs per serving

Recipe from Rose Elliot's "The Vegetarian Low-Carb Diet Book"

OP’s posts: |
BIWI Mon 22-Jan-18 06:15:42

Posted by @BettyBathroom:

Parmesan, tomato & spring onion muffins

Leave out the tomatoes, parmesan & spring onions for a plainer more bread like loaf.

Ingredients
2 1/2 cups ground almonds
3 eggs
1 eggs yolk
120g melted butter
300g tub of cottage cheese - put cottage cheese in a muslin or clean tea towel and try to squeeze out excess water

8 semi dried tomatoes, chopped
2 sprng onions,chopped
1/2 cup parmesan,grated

1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 180C

2. Grease a 4 inch x 8 inch loaf pan with butter and coat bottom with almond flour or prepare a muffin tin with nuffin cases.

3. Use food processor to mix eggs, melted butter, dry curd cottage cheese, baking soda and salt. Process until thick and resembles butter in texture. Add parmesan, tomatoes & spring onion - a couple of pulses to mix.

4. Add almond flour and pulse till mixed.

5. Soon mixture into muffin pan or loaf tin

6. Bake for about 45mins until lightly browned on top - keep an eye on it from 30mins. Check doneness by inserting knife and seeing if it comes out clean.

BIWI Mon 22-Jan-18 06:16:58

Posted by @FreeButtonBee:

Charred Broccoli

Chop a head of broccoli into quite small florets (not too much stalk), heat up a frying pan really hot with some oil in it (just enough to coat the bottom).

Put raw broccoli in pan and turn down heat to medium, turn over as the broccoli browns - you want it a mixture of light and darker brown - don't let it burn! You might need a bit more olive oil.

This is really delicious - I did it with a broccoli head that was a bit floppy and sad and it was really great. Would be fab in a salad with feta and olives and stuff. But was great as a side dish with beef stew.

BIWI Mon 22-Jan-18 06:17:58

Addendum by me!

FreeButtonBee - I do something similar with tenderstem broccoli - I roast it in the oven in olive oil, and also sprinkle it with sea salt crystals and chilli flakes

BIWI Mon 22-Jan-18 06:18:44

And another addendum from @BettyBathroom:

I steam/boil broccoli. Then I saute some chilli (the hotter the better!) and garlic gently in extra virgin Olive oil - do not allow the garlic to colour. Then dress the cooked broccoli in the garlic & chilli oil and finish with a generous grating of parmesan.

BIWI Mon 22-Jan-18 06:20:28

Posted by @MNP:

1000 Island Dressing

950mls Mayo
150g peppericini/sweet red pepper,
60mls Ketchup, for color
120mls Pickles,
120mls Capers,
1½ tsp Lemon Juice
½ Red onion,
Salt & Pepper to taste

Blitz all ingredients and serve. Store in refrigerator.

Makes over a litre.

BIWI Mon 22-Jan-18 06:21:20

Posted by @teaandthorazine:

Egg-Fried Cauliflower Rice

Serves 1 (as a main dish)

- Half a head of cauli, grated or blitzed in a food processor until it resembles rice
- Butter and oil for frying
- Clove of garlic
- Stirfry veg (eg broccoli, peppers, beansprouts)
- 1 egg
- Chinese five-spice seasoning
- Salt & pepper
- Dash of soy sauce (Kikkoman is low-carb, apparently)

Heat butter and splash of oil in pan
Gently fry garlic
Add grated cauli and other veg
Add 5-spice powder, stir fry mixture for 3-4 mins
Add egg and stir quickly into cauli/veg mixture until cooked
Season and add splash of soy sauce to taste

Easy-peasy and surprisingly delicious! This works great on its own but would also do as an accompaniment to other Chinese food. Swap the 5-spice and soy for curry powder for Indian food.

Advertisement

BIWI Mon 22-Jan-18 06:23:20

Posted by @QueenStromba:

Layered aubergine, ricotta and spinach with tomato sauce

A rather nice veggie dish I made the other day.

The sauce:
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
A couple of cloves of garlic
1 banana shallot or two standard shallots
Some fresh or dried basil

The filling:
500g ricotta
500g frozen spinach
1 egg
1 pinch of nutmeg
salt and pepper

1 large or 2 medium aubergines
butter or ghee

The topping:
1 or 2 mozzarella balls

1: Finely chop the shallot and garlic then fry in some butter or ghee (olive oil should not be used for frying due to it's high non saturated fat content making it form unhealthy trans fats at high temperatures).

2. Add in the tin of chopped tomatoes and simmer.

3. Defrost the spinach in the microwave.

4. Cut the aubergine into thin slices then fry in batches in butter or ghee until softened and browned

5. While the aubergine is frying put the defrosted spinach, ricotta, egg, nutmeg and salt and pepper into a mixing bowl and then mix them with a hand mixer or with a fork.

6. Cover the bottom of a casserole dish with the spinach and ricotta mixture then cover that with a layer of aubergine slices and repeat until you've run out of both.

7. Blend the tomato sauce with some basil (fresh if possible) then pour on top of the rest of the dish.

8. Grate the mozzarella then spread it on top.

9. Bake at 180 for 20 minutes.

The whole thing has about 60g of carbs so it's not too bad if you eat a sixth of it with some salad and pretty good for a veggie dish.

BIWI Mon 22-Jan-18 06:24:28

Posted by @BettyBathroom:

ALMOND MUFFIN LOAF

Ingredients
2 1/2 cups almond flour
3 eggs
1/4-1/3 cup melted butter
1 cup dry curd cottage cheese, packed (or cream cheese made from homemade yogurt) strain the liquid from the cottage cheese.
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

Instructions
1. Preheat oven 180 deg. C

2. Grease a 4 inch x 8 inch loaf pan with butter and coat bottom with almond flour.

3. Use food processor to mix eggs, melted butter, dry curd cottage cheese, baking soda, and salt. Process until thick and resembles butter in texture.

4. Add almond flour and process until mixed thoroughly. If too stiff for processor, remove and knead with wet hands to evenly distribute almond flour. (Mine was wetand it was great)

5. With wet hands, shape dough into loaf and press into greased pan.

6. Bake at (180-200 C) for about 1 hour until lightly browned on top. There will be a crack on the top of the loaf. Check doneness by inserting knife and seeing if it comes out clean.

7. Remove from oven, loosen from sides of pan with spatula.

8. Invert onto rack to cool thoroughly, so it will be firm enough for cutting.

BIWI Mon 22-Jan-18 06:25:31

More detailed broccoli recipe by me:

Roasted Tenderstem Broccoli with Shallots and Chilli

An easy, peasy but very yummy side dish - serves 2-3 generous portions

1 pack of Tenderstem broccoli
2 echalion/banana shallots
chilli flakes
sea/rock salt
olive oil

Wash the broccoli then put into a baking dish/tray
Cut the shallots in half lengthways, and then again into quarters, and put on top of the broccoli
Drizzle with olive oil
Sprinkle on salt and chilli flakes to taste

Roast in a hot oven for 15-20 minutes until the florets are just starting to go crispy (keep an eye on them as they can go from crispy to burnt very quickly!)

BIWI Mon 22-Jan-18 06:26:45

Posted by @MmeLindor:

Broccoli soup

Roughly chop head of broccoli into small pieces and put in large pan with hot water.
Add veg stock cube.
Boil till broccoli is tender.

Add cream and spoonful of cream cheese and some fresh herbs.

BIWI Mon 22-Jan-18 06:30:11

Posted by @heartstart:

DH made this it is delicious and from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's River Cottage Veg Everyday.

Cambodia wedding day dip

500g chestnut and or cup mushroom
1 tablespoon sunflower oil
1 small birds eye chilli finely chopped inc seeds
3 garlic cloves crushed
1 tablespoon curry powder or mild curry paste
2 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter
400ml coconut milk
Juice 1/2 lime
Dash of soy
Chopped coriander to garnish

Finely dice mushroom, or blitz in processor - not too fine.

Heat oil in large frying pan and cook mushrooms til all liquid has evaporated; stir briskly whilst cooking
Add chili and garlic and stir for one minute
Add curry powder/paste and peanut butter stir thoroughly then stir in coconut milk

Let it all bubble rapidly stir occasionally so doesn't stick until thick and reduced (approx 30 min)

Add lime juice and soy to taste

Serves 8 total carbs about 23g

BIWI Mon 22-Jan-18 06:31:03

Posted by @teaandthorazine:

Not exactly a recipe as such but...this is AMAZING grin.

1. Hardboil an egg.
2. Take it out of the pan and mash it in a cup or small bowl while it's still warm.
3. Add a dollop of Boursin.
4. Eat.
5. Consider repeating steps 1-4.

Oh. My. God.

BIWI Mon 22-Jan-18 06:33:04

Posted by @Krumbum:

Shakshouka delicious Moroccan dish.
Serves 2 or 3.

Fry 2 chopped onions til soft in olive oil
Add 2 cloves of chopped garlic
Add 2 chopped peppers cook til soft
Add 1 teaspoon of ground coriander seeds (and optionally 1 chopped chilli)
Add 400g of chopped tinned tomatoes or passata and carry on heating and stirring for 6 mins.
Crack an egg per person onto the top, allow it to cook/poach in the tomato.
Serve topped with lots of fresh chopped coriander and lots of crumbled feta.

BIWI Mon 22-Jan-18 06:34:31

Marinated Courgette with Mozzarella

4 medium courgettes (about 500g)
5 tablespoons extra virgin olive or rapeseed oil
1 large clove garlic, finely slivered
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon, plus a little juice
A handful of mint or basil, roughly torn
1 ball of buffalo mozzarella (about 125g), or other mild, soft cheese
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Top and tail the courgettes, then cut them lengthways into thin slices, 1–2mm thick. Put them in a bowl with 2 tablespoons of the oil and use a pastry brush to get them all lightly coated.

Heat a large non-stick frying pan over a fairly high heat. Working in batches, sear the courgette slices for about 2 minutes on each side until tender and golden. Transfer them to a shallow dish.

Take the frying pan off the heat and let it cool down a bit. Add the remaining 3 tablespoons oil, the garlic and lemon zest. Heat very gently for a few minutes – the residual heat in the pan may be enough – you just want to take the raw edge off the garlic and infuse the flavours into the oil.
Pour the infused oil over the courgettes. Add some salt and pepper, a little squeeze of lemon juice and the mint or basil. Toss together, cover and leave for 1 hour at room temperature.

Serve with the torn mozzarella scattered over it.

(A River Cafe recipe)

BIWI Mon 22-Jan-18 06:35:02

Sorry - above is a River Cottage recipe

BIWI Mon 22-Jan-18 06:36:07

Posted by @ILoveStripeySocks:

Creamy garlic mushrooms
Serves 2

3 crushed garlic cloves
12 mushrooms chopped (I used chestnut, you could use any though)
Knob of butter
Splash of sherry (or white wine)
Half a carton of double cream
Parsley, to serve

Melt the butter in a pan, and add the garlic. Cook for a minute or 2, letting it cook but not colour. Add the mushrooms and stir fry for about 5 minutes. Add the sherry and let it simmer & reduce down. Add the cream, and let it warm through, stirring to mix all the flavours. Sprinkle with parsley & serve.

BIWI Mon 22-Jan-18 06:37:12

Posted by @ILoveStripeySocks:

(from Jen's Blog)

Marinated cucumber

1 medium cucumber
Tablespoon bunch fresh mint
Tablespoon olive oil
Teaspoon cider vinegar
Salt & pepper to season

Top & tail the cucumber, then peel. Chop in half, then slice those into halves lengthways. Chop into chunky half-moons. Mix the olive oil, vinegar & mint, and add the cucumber. Thoroughly mix, season & leave to marinate for 30 minutes. Stir again then serve.

BIWI Mon 22-Jan-18 06:38:59

Posted by @Whippoorwhill@

Courgette Fritters

3 good sized courgettes
2 tsp salt
1/2 pack of feta cheese (or any cheese of your choice)
2 eggs
1/4 cup ground flax (optional, it helps the fritters stay together but they work just fine without)
Tblsp chopped herbs (I like basil with feta and sage with cheddar. Anything you fancy is fine and dried herbs work well too, just reduce the quantity if you use them)
Ground black pepper
Fat for frying

Coarsely grate the courgette, place in bowl and mix in the salt. Put aside for approx 20 minutes for the salt to draw out the liquid from the courgette.

Line a sieve or similar with a muslin type cloth, I use a clean teatowel. Put the courgette into the sieve, then gather the cloth up around it and squeeze out as much liquid as you can with your hands.

In a bowl mash together the cheese, herbs, flax (if using) and pepper. Add the eggs and courgette and mix thoroughly.

Heat a generous amount of cooking fat in a frying pan and cook spoonfuls of the mixture, flipping when the bottoms are a nice golden brown. Press down with a spatula to flatten the fritters and cook until the second side is done. Continue until all the mixture is used up. I usually make eleven but you can adjust the size of your fritters to suit.

Serve with everything from roast dinners to Full English breakfasts.

BIWI Mon 22-Jan-18 06:39:59

Posted by @halfthesize:

My creamy garlic mushrooms

Slice up a medium size pack of mushrooms
Fry off in butter
Once cooked stir in a whole pack of garlic Boursin

Serve on a bed of water cress.
Its quick easy and tastes great. Also looks fab for a dinner party

BIWI Mon 22-Jan-18 06:41:22

Posted by @PrincessSparkle86:

Low carb satay sauce

You'll need:

1tbsp olive oil
1 small onion/ shallot finely chopped
1 garlic clove crushed
1 heaped tablespoon crunchy peanut butter ( i used sunpat but if you can find a lower carb one go for it!)
1 tsp soy sauce
5tbsp boiling water
Juice of 1 small lime
4tsp chilli flakes
3tsp splenda/sugar replacement.

I used my fitness pal to do the calorie and carb count for above ingredients:

221 cal and 11.8g carbs.
This sauce for me has made two lots!

* Heat the oil in a pan and add the onions.
*cook till softened then stir in the garlic
* add the rest of ingredients and let simmer for 3 mins.

Obviously you can adapt the spiciness/ thickness of the sauce.. Just bear in mind the calories and carbs will change!

BIWI Mon 22-Jan-18 06:44:04

By me:

Celeriac Boulangere

I made this tonight, and it was lovely!

600g celeriac (1 large celeriac) peeled
250g shallots (about 3 large banana/echalion shallots)
stock - about quarter of a litre (add a bit more if you think it's not enough, but when I made it with half a litre, that was too much)
3-4 cloves garlic
sea salt and black pepper
grated mature cheddar (gruyere would be nice, but I only had cheddar!)

Cut the celeriac into chunks, and then slice the chunks. (If you have a food processor, use the fattest slicing blade)
Peel and slice the shallots
Mix the shallots and celeriac together in a reasonably shallow casserole/baking dish
Crush the garlic and mix into the celeriac/shallots, along with a good seasoning of black pepper and sea salt
Pour the stock into the dish, then cover with foil/a lid and bake on a medium heat for around half an hour; take the foil/lid off and bake for another half an hour, so that the stock reduces - just make sure it doesn't burn on top.
When it's sufficiently dry/cooked through, top the dish with plenty of grated cheese and bake again until the cheese is browned.

Serves 6 easily

23g in total.

BIWI Mon 22-Jan-18 06:45:25

Posted by @captainmummy:

Spiced Butternut

Boil the peeled cubed squash with a bayleaf and some turmeric, curry powder and a star anise (if you have one, i never do).

Fry some chopped onion (or shallot) in butter and oil with ground coriander, garlic and ginger.

Drain squash (leave a bit of liquid) remove whole spices and mash slightly.

Pour the butter over and mix a bit. I used to serve as a vegetable at curry evenings but can eat it all by itself all by myself....

BIWI Mon 22-Jan-18 06:47:22

Posted by @TellMeLater:

Pizza recipe taken from peaceloveandlowcarb.com

Ingredients
Crust-
2 Eggs
4 oz. Cream Cheese
1/4 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
1 1/4 Cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
1/8 Tsp Garlic Powder
1/8 Tsp Onion Powder
1/4 oregano

Directions
Crust -
Preheat oven to 375*

Spray a 9x13 Glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and line with parchment paper. After lining the dish with the parchment paper, also spray the paper with non-stick cooking spray

In a large mixing bowl, mix the cream cheese and eggs with a hand mixer on medium speed until well blended.

Next, add in the Parmesan cheese and all three spices. Stir in thoroughly. Stir in the mozzarella cheese until all of the ingredients are completely mixed together.

With a rubber spatula scrape the mixture in to the glass baking dish and spread around evenly, lining the entire bottom of the dish.

Bake on the middle rack for 20-25 minutes. If you like a crispier crust, you can leave it in the oven longer. Just be sure to keep checking on it so it does not burn.

When the crust is done baking, let it cool on a cooling rack while still on the parchment paper but not in the dish. After the crust has cooled, slide a spatula under the crust to loosen it from the parchment paper but leave it on the paper and place it back in the baking dish.

Top with sauce, remainder of the cheese and the toppings of your choice. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Let cool, slice, and enjoy!!

BIWI Mon 22-Jan-18 06:48:07

Posted by @PrincessSparkle86:

Spicy Cauliflower Rice

Cooking Steps
Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan.
Add onions, garlic and parsley and fry for a few minutes until the onions starts to get translucent.
Then add the riced cauliflower and let fry for another five minutes or so, stirring every once in a while so the cauliflower and onions get evenly mixed.
Towards the end, add the chili flakes (start with just a small amount, taste it and then add more if needed until you have a level of heat that you prefer! You don’t want this too hot, it should have a pleasant heat to it…) and then salt and pepper to taste.

Serves 4
10-15 min
This is a Non-Dairy Recipe
Ingredients
• 1 Cauliflower head, grated into “rice” over the coarse side of a grater.
• 1 Onion, finely chopped.
• 2-3 cloves of Garlic, minced.
• 2 tbsp chopped Parsley.
• Chili Flakes.
• Salt and crushed Black Pepper.
• 3 tbsp extra virgin Olive Oil.

BIWI Mon 22-Jan-18 06:49:33

By me:

Celeriac and leek mash (serves 2 generously)

1/4 large celeriac, peeled and chopped into inch-square chunks
1 large leek, washed and sliced

Boil the celeriac in salted water till it's tender - about 20-25 minutes
Add the sliced leek to the celeriac and continue to boil until the they are tender - about 2 minutes
Drain the vegetables, then return to the pan
Add a large knob of butter and then use a hand blender to mash the veg - the texture is up to you
Season with black pepper and sea salt, to taste

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in