'Breastfeeding not as beneficial as once thought'

(104 Posts)
Jojay Wed 12-Sep-07 09:14:43

See this link.

www.gm.tv/index.cfm?articleid=26906

(hope the link works)

Comments??

AneurinBadger Wed 12-Sep-07 09:16:55

I'll wait till I;ve read the whole bmj paper before drawing any conclusions.
least they had a bf picture...

maisym Wed 12-Sep-07 09:19:51

will read the whole thing as well - but there are many benefits to bf even if some allergies wheren't conclusive in the study -

ArthurScarCOD Wed 12-Sep-07 09:20:21

ye si laughed
allthose farkign beleding boobs

ArthurScarCOD Wed 12-Sep-07 09:20:54

funny htat ds2 ( bottle) seems our ( relatively)cleverest so far
and most coordinated.

theUrbanDryad Wed 12-Sep-07 09:21:16

i'd be very interested to find out who funded this research. was it government funded? sorry - no time to read article, am on baby patrol (he's just discovered he can stand up!)

AneurinBadger Wed 12-Sep-07 09:22:03

ah yes, extensive trial cod

leave it...

Jojay Wed 12-Sep-07 09:22:32

It doesn't say who funded it but it was in Canada - Montreal Children's Hospital

ruty Wed 12-Sep-07 09:26:33

Hmm. All it said in that article is that breastfeeding did not seem to protect against heriditary asthma and eczema. Er no surprise there, breastfeeding doesn't change your genes. I will look forward to seeing if the full report mentions anything about preventing infant infections in the first years of life, as that is what breastfeeding is about. If it doesn't mention that, then this is extrememly irresponsibly journalism. Surprise surprise.

AneurinBadger Wed 12-Sep-07 09:28:04

it was done by Canadian researchers
in hospitals & clinics in Belorussia
13,000 kids

it is weird beacuse an (admittedly smaller) similar study in Australia in 1999 seemed to show a definite link.

AneurinBadger Wed 12-Sep-07 09:29:52

the original paper didn't look at any other benefits of breastfeeding - it was solely about asthma & allergies.
Abstract here, am trying to get my hands on the full text

theUrbanDryad Wed 12-Sep-07 09:32:06

irresponsible journalism...hmm, quelle surprise...

Jojay Wed 12-Sep-07 09:32:35

It says that the report conluded that breast feeding helps build the baby's immune system, and can help protect against respiratory infections.

It said that it did not appear to reduce the risk of asthma, hay fever or eczema.

maisym Wed 12-Sep-07 09:33:24

I never understand why bf is picked on like this - what about an article on risks of formula?

ruty Wed 12-Sep-07 09:37:06

yes it seems it didn't look at any other benefits at all but good old GMTV are telling everyone breastfeeding is not very beneficial. hmm
And very strange that they did they study in Belarus. One of the most polluted areas in the world. I would expect there to be a much higher allergy rate amongst all children.

theUrbanDryad Wed 12-Sep-07 09:37:58

well, i don't know about Canada, but certainly in the US formula companies have leaned on congress to suppress the reports about the risks of formula.

will find link, hang on...

Kathyis6incheshigh Wed 12-Sep-07 09:38:39

We need Tiktok to fill us in on this really - she usually seems to know stuff about studies!

fecking GMTV. typical. TYPICAL!

Honneybunny Wed 12-Sep-07 09:43:28

michael kramer (the resercher who was involved in teh study) did speak at a conference sponsored by nestle in bejing in 2004...
hmm
anyway, haven't read the original paper yet, so i am off to do that...
<hb starts googling BMJ>

ruty Wed 12-Sep-07 09:49:31

see Aneurin Badger's link.

ruty Wed 12-Sep-07 09:49:57

Talk about conflict of interests Honeybunny..

Honneybunny Wed 12-Sep-07 09:51:42

well we don't know if there were any conflicts of interest for this study, but at least it is an interesting fact that he spoke there...

theUrbanDryad Wed 12-Sep-07 09:54:39

hmm - can't find the link, i'm sure there was something about it one of my friend's livejournal. perhaps it's been removed. i'll have to email her and ask...

Honneybunny Wed 12-Sep-07 09:56:58

actually, i looked up the link and on there there was a link to a controlled trials site, where there was info on the funding: apparently it was funded by the Canadian Institutes of Health Research Thrasher Research Fund, NHRDP, Health Canada, and by UNICEF. So much for my nestle conspiracy theory... grin

ruty Wed 12-Sep-07 10:07:12

I still think Belarus is a very odd and atypical study area to use.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now