Talk

Advanced search

My washing machine stinks! Any ideas on how to stop it?

(24 Posts)
Calmthefeckdown Sat 29-Nov-14 07:18:54

I've tried:

~Several boil washes with no detergent
~wash with white vinegar
~wash with bicarbonate of soda in it
~pulled out dispenser drawer and cleaned (mostly I just put tablets in the machine anyway though)

The bicarb/vinegar seemed to help but it is back to stinking envy

What next?

Roonerspism Sat 29-Nov-14 07:20:30

We have this issue. Yuk.

I stick tea tree oil in every week or so. And also bought this stuff from supermarket that clears out the pipes.

Is it a musty smell?

Calmthefeckdown Sat 29-Nov-14 07:24:53

Yes, musty. Smells like dirty dishcloths - blargh!

YeGodsAndLittleFishes Sat 29-Nov-14 07:25:10

Find the filter and give that a pull out and clean. (There might be a hatch covering, behind that a tube which can be unscrewed and removed to be washed. Put a tray underneath first as foul smelling water can gush out.) Even a tiny obstruction caught in the filter can cause this.

Calmthefeckdown Sat 29-Nov-14 07:25:33

What is the pipe stuff? Can you put it direct in the machine?

Calmthefeckdown Sat 29-Nov-14 07:26:18

Will that at be at the front or back Ye Gods?

YeGodsAndLittleFishes Sat 29-Nov-14 07:27:39

You can get a washing machine cleaner...

Squeegle Sat 29-Nov-14 07:28:36

Bleach in the drawer, then hot empty wash?

YeGodsAndLittleFishes Sat 29-Nov-14 07:30:01

Here is the filter hatch on my machine, and the filter behind it.

YeGodsAndLittleFishes Sat 29-Nov-14 07:31:05

Has always been on the front of machines I've had.

ThomasLynn Sat 29-Nov-14 07:33:30

Leave it open for a few days and dry it right out?

Calmthefeckdown Sat 29-Nov-14 07:33:41

Right, just put washing machine cleaner in my online shopping basket, going to go downstairs and investigate filter. I am suspecting I may find approx 2000 loombands, 57 hairband and some money. Fingers crossed on the money.

Calmthefeckdown Sat 29-Nov-14 07:34:12

Ps yegods - thanks for the pics grin

loopyarabella Sat 29-Nov-14 07:35:06

Keep us posted wink

YeGodsAndLittleFishes Sat 29-Nov-14 07:43:31

Yes. Here it used to be buttons and fluff jammed in the filter and now paperclips or hair clips are more usual.

Calmthefeckdown Sat 29-Nov-14 07:50:00

Ok, found drawer. After some cursing and wrestling got the door off. Stinking drain water came out, some lumps of limescale, a hairband with loads of fluff and hair wrapped round it (yak) and 1p, one stinking p! Really I was only going to be happy with at least 20p or more. Have cleaned out filter and put machine on for a normal wash (dc PE kits). Onwards and upwards.

smaths Sat 29-Nov-14 07:53:47

Do you leave the door open when it's not in use? Do you use powder or liquid (less residue with powder)

smaths Sat 29-Nov-14 07:55:11

Apologies just re read op and you use tablets. Maybe switch type and see if that changes anything?

Calmthefeckdown Sat 29-Nov-14 07:59:31

Smaths - yes I've started leaving the door open. Slight problem is I have three stupid cats and I live in fear of one (or more, they are that stupid) getting stuck in there.

YeGodsAndLittleFishes Sat 29-Nov-14 08:01:40

If you read the manual (I know) it says to clean out the filter every couple of months or so.

YeGodsAndLittleFishes Sat 29-Nov-14 08:03:32

X post! grin That sounds so similar to my first filter clean!

YeGodsAndLittleFishes Sat 29-Nov-14 08:06:20

Gives a whole new meaning to spending a penny, eh?

Calmthefeckdown Sat 29-Nov-14 21:57:18

grin

LL12 Sun 30-Nov-14 11:03:38

I was getting this problem and still do a little.
I use powder and liquid and fabric softner and did a monthly maintenance wash. I still had the smelly problem.
It was only when I was having a new kitchen fitted and had to pull the machine out that I was that the drain hose was thickly coated inside with a slimy mixture of the powder/liquid/softner.
I used a long drain cleaning rod with a brush on the end and got rid of it all and since then the problem has all but gone.
I only get a very slight smell now if I haven't left the door open for a while after using the machine.

All the money I spent on special cleaners for the machine were a complete waste.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now