Talk

Advanced search

Possible mould in washing machine

(11 Posts)
Ellie4 Fri 02-Sep-11 19:55:26

There is a slight smell of mould on my washing if it is not got out of the machine straight away. I am wondering what to do to get rid of it. I was thinking of running it empty at 90 with bleach in it. Has anyone any other suggestions? Thanks

twotesttickles Fri 02-Sep-11 20:05:33

Soda crystals, boil wash should shift it. You may also want to clean your rim (the washing machine rim - it may be Friday night so I'm clarifying wink )

You can do this with vinegar and kitchen towel. There will be a lot of grot in it I'm afraid. Also check traps for rotting lint.

Ellie4 Fri 02-Sep-11 20:08:18

Thanks - do you mean bicarbonate of soda?

babycham42 Fri 02-Sep-11 20:09:55

Take drawer out and clean that and the compartment. Clean in the drum and the seal. Run a 60 wash with a handful of washing soda in the drum.

Leave the door and drawer open when you can to dry off.

Stop using liquid detergents and fabric conditioners. It"s the use of these in conjunction with running so many low temp washes that we do nowadays that causes the smell. It"s something to do with bacteria forming on the film that"s left behind I think.

Every so often make sure you do a hotter wash (tea towels,bedding etc.)

Hope this helps.

twotesttickles Fri 02-Sep-11 20:16:57

No soda crystals. From the supermarket - they come in a big bag - it costs about £1.50 - you will need one tablespoon. One bag will last you a year or two.

twotesttickles Fri 02-Sep-11 20:17:57

Soda crystals = washing soda

Bicarb of soda = cooking ingredient. Also good for cleaning but v expensive in comparison

Ellie4 Fri 02-Sep-11 20:22:56

twotesttickles where in the supermarket would I find soda crystals? I'm not in the UK and asking the staff for them would not likely to end in a successful result.

minxthemanx Fri 02-Sep-11 20:24:01

I've got the same problem and was on the verge of buying new machine - the washing machine stinks of mould. Had a new rubber seal put on, so I know the mould is further in the machine. Will try soda crystals - where do I put them, in the powder compartment or straight in the drum?

twotesttickles Fri 02-Sep-11 20:44:30

Usually next to the stain removers. If you are not in the UK, you can try pharmacies, or hardware shops (they are used for lots of things)

twotesttickles Fri 02-Sep-11 20:45:04

Straight into the drum is best mix. You can put them in the powder drawer. I normally remove my powder draw and bung it in the dishwasher on hot.

Ellie4 Fri 02-Sep-11 20:57:42

Thanks

Will give it a go

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now