Talk

Advanced search

blackout lining for curtains

(13 Posts)
Coco9 Mon 01-Aug-11 20:05:14

does anyone know where you can buy blackout lining for bedroom curtains to stop kids waking up early - I've only seen ones that attach to the window so far. thanks

Carrotsandcelery Mon 01-Aug-11 20:08:00

I am sorry, I can't help you but did want to warn you. I bought blackout curtains years ago and they didn't have any of the tapes you would normally expect to put curtain hooks in to hang them on the curtain pole. By this point I had ripped the packaging and couldn't return them and was then sleepless and also annoyed!

We use blackout roller blinds with normal curtains over the top. It is not totally dark although it does cut down the light a lot.

Urbanvoltaire Mon 01-Aug-11 20:39:17

I bought blackout linings in John Lewis - they have tiny tabs at the top which you hook onto your curtains (they have the header tape) with standard plastic curtain hooks. I had to buy longer ones than necessary & hem them.

shodatin Tue 02-Aug-11 00:26:47

Most fabric shops sell it by the roll, if you can't find actual curtains.

thejaffacakesareonme Tue 02-Aug-11 13:55:41

I bought some from Mothercare a few years ago. They came in two lengths and are pretty good. They also have the proper curtain tape at the top of them so you can hang them under normal curtains. The only problems I find are that they hang slightly lower than other curtains (even although they are the same length) and also bulk out at the sides so unless you remember to tuck them in you can see them sometimes.

Coco9 Wed 03-Aug-11 12:08:21

thanks I will try your suggestions and will look out for the ones without tapes (thanks for the warning carrots and celery!).

TeaOneSugar Wed 03-Aug-11 21:33:32

I got some from Dunhelm Mill recently, really reasonable price, and they had a header tape so really easy to put up.

JetLi Wed 03-Aug-11 22:03:00

dunelm here too

emsyj Wed 03-Aug-11 23:03:56

I got some on ebay - they had header tape on and just hooked onto the curtains. They were pretty cheap. There are a few shops on ebay selling them - just do a search to find the size you want.

UnSerpentQuiCourt Thu 04-Aug-11 14:15:14

Ditto ebay comment - mine were fine (I hung them behind my curtains on the same hooks).

munstersmum Thu 04-Aug-11 14:17:13

Blackout linings with header from Dunhelm too.

schroeder Thu 04-Aug-11 19:38:28

These are supposed to be good

orienteerer Thu 04-Aug-11 19:42:25

Velcro ones here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now