Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Ever painted oak furniture land furniture

(8 Posts)
Glittershoes22 Sun 15-May-16 09:15:42

We have a dining room bedecked in oak furniture land rustic furniture which I've tolerated for the last 5 years (I was clearly off my head when OH suggested it). We are now moving from a cottage to a Georgian house and think a lick of paint would be the way forward to hide all the matchy matchy oakiness.

Has anyone painted their OFL furniture. It feels 100% veneer to me but according to their website they never use Mdf or veneer and its apparently 100% oak. If you painted yours what did you use? It feels very smooth and I do want something I can slap on with minimal prep. I painted a dresser in Annie Sloan and wasn't massively impressed with the finish.

Any thoughts?

wowfudge Sun 15-May-16 14:03:15

You need a good primer - the oak will have been waxed and possibly stained first so it needs to be something which will block any oils seeping through the top coat paint. I would then use a satinwood paint - available off the shelf or you can have it made up in a host of different colours in a Dulux or Johnstones decorator centre or in Valspar paint in B&Q. Use a small gloss roller for flat surfaces and a brush for other areas. One coat of primer followed by two coats of paint should do it.

If you get a Zinsser primer you probably won't have to sand the wood first either. A lot of their stuff dries quickly meaning you can prime and apply the first coat of paint in an evening.

Glittershoes22 Sun 15-May-16 17:58:26

@wowfudge you are a star, will give it a try on one of the chairs before I tackle a larger project!

wowfudge Sun 15-May-16 21:53:17

If you are going to do this I would say don't get a quick drying satinwood - the finish is not as smooth as you'll get from other satinwoods as you have to use a brush and ime a roller gives a better, smoother finish. Good luck.

engineersthumb Tue 17-May-16 23:02:41

It seems a shame to paint a nice piece of oak. The biggest woey to me is how it ages, paints chip and fade relatively quickly particularly draws etc.

shanhill Sat 21-May-16 14:11:09

I'd go with Dulux all day. They've got a very huge range of colours and textures, and it's also much easier to clean.

langlandgirl Sun 22-May-16 08:55:25

try this page, taken from a link on a post on Property/DIY

langlandgirl Sun 22-May-16 08:55:35

oops! traditionalpainter.com/faq

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now