Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

dimples above bum?

(29 Posts)
misdee Sun 10-Jul-05 22:35:18

on the lower back. should they be level?

jessicaandbumpsmummy Sun 10-Jul-05 22:35:58

no idea hun, i know the hv checked jess's bum and thighs but not her back...... is this dd3?

Milliways Sun 10-Jul-05 22:36:24

Never thought about it. My DD has these, they are level. I think they are sweet, she hates them!

misdee Sun 10-Jul-05 22:36:35

no dd2. one dimple is lower than the other. shje has problems with balence, wondering if this could be an indicator.

jessicaandbumpsmummy Sun 10-Jul-05 22:37:11

quite possible hun. Have you got an appointment for her soon? May be worth getting it checked.

PrincessPeaHead Sun 10-Jul-05 22:37:37

well they relate to the skeleton so if they aren't level I suppose they could indicate some misalignment? your gp should be able to tell you? Mine are very pronounced (and very level!)

misdee Sun 10-Jul-05 22:37:48

sept. wil lask HV 1st if no-one knows on here.

misdee Sun 10-Jul-05 22:38:20

thats what i thought pph. hips maybe?

PrincessPeaHead Sun 10-Jul-05 22:42:16

they are called sacral dimples, aren't they? guess part of the pelvis?

misdee Sun 10-Jul-05 22:44:00

omg!!!

'If there is unleveling of the pelvis or sacral dimples, simply have the patient rock up on the lateral aspect of both feet (Suppination) . If the pelvis levels out or the sacral dimples level out in this position then you are looking at a functional short leg and an orthotic is indicated. If the pelvis remains unleveled in that position an anatomical short leg is present then a heel lift is needed. If the pelvis tends to level out, but not completely, then there is a combination functional and anatomical short leg. This would be an indicator for both orthotic and heel lift. '

edodgy Sun 10-Jul-05 22:45:17

My dd has these but they are level, she also has a dimple on each of her shoulder blades and so have i and so did my mum i thought everyone had these till someone pointed it out but apparently they dont lol. If shes having problems with balance i'd query it with your HV but hopefully it will be nothing to worry about.

jessicaandbumpsmummy Sun 10-Jul-05 22:45:38

speak to HV hun x

sparklymieow Sun 10-Jul-05 22:46:05

DOn't panic Misdee, a raised shoe is nothing, and nowadays they even put them inside the shoe so its not noticeable......

misdee Sun 10-Jul-05 22:47:06

its OMG cos i have known since dd2 started walkign that something wasnt right. looks like i may finally get listened to.

PrincessPeaHead Sun 10-Jul-05 22:47:18

oooh!
well there's your answer - good of you to notice it because if you wander around for your developmental years with a short leg you can cause hip damage I think.
best see your gp.

potty1 Sun 10-Jul-05 22:47:30

misdee - dd's are unlevel - her right leg is shorter than the left. Stand her on a couple of magazines/a book and see if they level up.

misdee Sun 10-Jul-05 22:48:15

she has paed appt in sept anyway.but will go back to GP before that so he can make a note of it as well.

misdee Sun 10-Jul-05 22:49:30

the wonders of the internet.

PrincessPeaHead Sun 10-Jul-05 22:53:30

hurrah!
read berolina's post on the congenital hip defect thread too - she is talking about having an undiagnosed short leg which left her with scoliosis.

so again well done for spotting it!!

misdee Sun 10-Jul-05 22:54:18

its only because she has been running around in the nude the last few weeks i spotted it.

misdee Mon 11-Jul-05 17:53:58

checked again today. definatly uneven.

FIMAC1 Mon 11-Jul-05 20:49:25

This is a classic symptom of a hip prob as my friend noticed in her dd - she ended up having an op ant then on traction BUT the consultant said it was the worst hip prob he had ever seen in his career - the bone was inches away from the socket - not even near it - don't want to worry you (she is 7 and fine now) but the dimples are the classic symptom esp uneven - my Mum was a Pediatric Orthopedic nurse and this is what they looked for when she was nursing - then x-rayed

Good luck

fishfinger Mon 11-Jul-05 20:59:59

I have htem and all the dsses

FIMAC1 Mon 11-Jul-05 21:00:35

FF

?

fishfinger Mon 11-Jul-05 21:00:56

we all have dimples

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: