Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone had a tonsil cyst removed?

(11 Posts)
LilRedWG Wed 10-Jun-09 11:07:44

I have a lovely white lump on my tonsil and the doctor has said that, whilst it will not turn into anything sinister, if it bothers me (which it does) I can get it removed.

I am considering it and wondered if anyone had any experience of the procedure.

Thanks.

TubOfLardWithInferiorRange Wed 10-Jun-09 14:53:45

If it's a tonsil nodule aka tonsil stone it can be pierced with a toothpick then really disgusting curdled cheese type stuff comes out of it.

LilRedWG Wed 10-Jun-09 15:41:08

Yeurck - I'll definitely let someone else do it for me then. GP just said it was a cyst.

TubOfLardWithInferiorRange Wed 10-Jun-09 16:15:19

A cyst would mean it's filled with fluid, I would think-so GP probably would drain that too. Maybe they are removed with lasers now-I don't know. I do know a lot about tonsil stones though as my, otherwise quite lovely, DD gets them regularly.

LilRedWG Wed 10-Jun-09 17:48:23

GP has said she'll refer me to ENT clinic, so I'm hoping it'll be a quick drain and away we go.

Of course I will tell DH that I require a day in bed to recover and lots of ice-cream and MN time. wink

LilRedWG Wed 10-Jun-09 17:49:00

Your poor DD - how old is she?

TubOfLardWithInferiorRange Wed 10-Jun-09 23:30:43

She'll be 20 this fall with tonsils the size of walnuts-no exaggeration.

LilRedWG Thu 11-Jun-09 11:47:49

LilRedWG Wed 05-Aug-09 19:53:14

Saw consultant today and he said it is a blocked mucous gland which has formed into a cyst and I'll hopefully be having an operation to remove it in a couple of weeks. He said that hopefully he won't have to remove my tonsil.

Has anyone had this done? How sore will it be afterwards? I forgot to ask.

TIA

Beanigan Fri 14-Aug-09 19:33:13

Hello,
I've had exactly the same as you previously.... and unfortunately I have the same again now on the other tonsil (have not yet booked the dr's appointment yet though).

Previously I've had a polyp on the roof of my mouth removed by an ENT surgeon (biopsy results benign) and a few years later a white cyst on my right tonsil. Mine also bothered me and was getting bigger so the ENT consultant said it'll need to be removed although he wasn't worried that it was malignent. I had to have the whole tonsil taken out at the grand old age of 32 yrs old as the roots were apparently embedded into the tonsil. Anyway, my operation wasn't completely successful as I as one of the unlucky ones who had a bleed following the operation but all was fixed with another theatre visit at 3am! They are quite rare though so don't let that bother you. Having 1 tonsil out is still painful - 2 weeks off work - lots of painkillers, operation under general etc.

Luckily the cyst was benign again. I'm currently pregnant so know that I'll need to wait now until the baby is born before I get the left one removed (if necessary) - don't worry about it though. The ENT consultant can pretty much detect a dodgy cyst and he's said yours is fine so its just a case of whipping it out!

LilRedWG Sun 16-Aug-09 16:28:37

Thanks Beanigan. Poor you - that's a lot of lumps and umps in your mouth!

I'm really not looking forward to it now it's getting closer. I'm still hoping that the whole tonsil won't have to be whipped out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now