Talk

Advanced search

New home - what are the plants?

(14 Posts)
Knickersononeshead Sat 20-Apr-19 10:31:56

Does anyone have any ideas please? And keep or dig up and replace?

Knickersononeshead Sat 20-Apr-19 10:32:35

Knickersononeshead Sat 20-Apr-19 10:33:31

And this one, wouldnt let me post with the others.

cakeandchampagne Sat 20-Apr-19 10:34:46

They look like daylilies. I would keep them.

cakeandchampagne Sat 20-Apr-19 10:36:56

Second one looks like rhododendron. I’m not a fan of those, but many people really like them- and they can be expensive to buy.

ChardonnaysPrettySister Sat 20-Apr-19 10:39:21

keep the day lilies, but dig then out and divide them early next spring. They seem like quite the clump.

Knittedfairies Sat 20-Apr-19 10:41:15

I'd just tidy the garden as best I could for the first year; you might have all sorts of bulbs and perennials in there. See what you've got before you set about it with a spade.

StarbucksSmarterSister Sat 20-Apr-19 10:46:36

Wait untill they flower, then see if you like them.

My new neighbour was very admiring of my peonies. She was a bit crestfallen when I told her that when they moved in and dug up the plants they had inherited, they had chucked out all the peonies in their own front garden.

Knickersononeshead Sat 20-Apr-19 10:59:59

Are my first two photos the same plant?

Yes I agree these are very bunched together, how best to have them if I dug them up and replanted?

ChardonnaysPrettySister Sat 20-Apr-19 12:03:46

I wouldn't do it now, I might be wrong, but I think it's a bit late, they are already growing nicely.

Day lilies can wait for a year or two.

You just dig them out, split with the shovel in a few smaller clumps and replant where you want them. I did it a few weeks ago with mine, they are on the edge of a border.

Knickersononeshead Sat 04-May-19 10:55:35

The second one has flowered and looks so pretty

MountainEagle Sat 04-May-19 11:00:03

That is an azalea. My guess for the first plant is iris.

TreadingThePrimrosePath Sat 04-May-19 11:04:01

I always wait a full year and see what I’ve got first. Planters and containers are good, you shuffle them around until you’re happy and then plant in the ground. That can take several years!

WellVersedInEtiquette Sat 04-May-19 17:32:26

Could the first one be crocosmia?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »