Talk

Advanced search

What is this plant/weed?

(14 Posts)
jeepercreeper Fri 22-Mar-19 16:27:33

Hoping someone can identify this. There's quite a lot coming up in the garden of our new house and I'm wondering whether to pull it up or not.

RatherBeRiding Fri 22-Mar-19 16:33:50

Aquilegia? Its an early summer flowering perennial, otherwise known as columbine.

At least I think that's what it is! I have quite a few in my garden and they look very similar.

MrsBertBibby Fri 22-Mar-19 18:18:14

Don't think it's aquilegia.

wowfudge Fri 22-Mar-19 18:22:49

Could be a perennial geranium.

Wandastartup Fri 22-Mar-19 18:33:43

I think buttercup which is a weed or could be aquilegia. See what the flowers look like.

VforVienetta Fri 22-Mar-19 18:37:13

If it's fairly low and sprawling with weak stems it's prob hardy geranium/cranesbill (will have small purply pink flowers), if they're tall plants with one or two sturdy stems it'll be aquilegia/old lady's bonnet.
I reckon anyway!

VforVienetta Fri 22-Mar-19 18:46:22

It's Herb Robert! It's a form of geranium, and very shallow growing so easy to pull up. Spreads like wildfire.
http://www.gardenwithoutdoors.org.uk/weedguide#Herbb_robert

MrsAird Fri 22-Mar-19 19:00:10

Herb Robert is very fashionable now, people are including it in display gardens at Chelsea. I'd certainly consider keeping it unless it really spoils your grand scheme.

brizzlemint Fri 22-Mar-19 19:23:56

We have it in our garden, it's great for ground cover and colour while everything else is getting going.

Letthemysterybe Fri 22-Mar-19 19:29:30

Easy to pull up but hard to get rid of completely.

EcclesThePeacock Fri 22-Mar-19 19:42:56

I don't think it's herb Robert, those leaves aren't the right shape, a bit too rounded.
Might be one of the other geraniums though.

I'd leave it till it flowers to tell for sure... but even if it's something pretty like herb Robert, you might want to take it out. I had some appear in my garden a few years ago, thought it looked nice and left it - now it's definitely in the weed category.

NanTheWiser Fri 22-Mar-19 21:47:16

I don't think it's Herb Robert either, if it is, it will have a very pungent smell.

NanTheWiser Fri 22-Mar-19 21:55:49

I wonder if it might be yellow Corydalis - Pseudofumaria lutea? I always think it's quite a pretty "weed" but only time will tell when it flowers.

MrsBertBibby Sat 23-Mar-19 09:11:44

Oh I never knew that was its name! I agree, a pretty weed. But this looks too red-stemmed and hairy to be that.

I think it looks geraniumy, but not HR.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »