Talk

Advanced search

Flowering shrubs for low maintenance border?

(10 Posts)
whereisthesunshine Fri 07-Apr-17 10:17:41

I am currently to finish a border in the front garden. Have a mix of perennials and bulbs which I am happy with. Has anyone got any recommendations for a) (long) flowering shrubs and b) low flowering plants to fill gaps and keep weeds at bay.

Soils is clay-y.

Thank you.

whereisthesunshine Fri 07-Apr-17 10:34:07

Sorry for typos blush

shovetheholly Fri 07-Apr-17 10:35:39

What way does it face & is it sunny? Shady?

JT05 Fri 07-Apr-17 10:47:48

Weigela is a lovely shrub and comes in several varieties and sizes.

KanyeWesticle Fri 07-Apr-17 11:14:44

Heathers are doing really well in our east facing sunny clay. I have white and pink alternating.

whereisthesunshine Fri 07-Apr-17 11:48:23

It gets lots of lovely morning/midday sun.

whereisthesunshine Fri 07-Apr-17 11:49:44

Will look into Weigela; thank you. Got heathers already but will buy some more to fill gaps.

shovetheholly Fri 07-Apr-17 12:03:52

To be honest, there are a gazillion perennials that will suit your conditions. smile Try to get a load of different things so you have something to look at in all seasons, and mix up some evergreens with some herbaceous perennials so you don't have a bare bed in winter.

Geranium 'rozanne' is a cracker - long flowering season and a lovely purple.

MrsBertBibby Fri 07-Apr-17 12:14:40

I'm a big spiraea fan, although not the longest lived bloom.

Potentillas go for ever. Just seen the first blooms on mine, and they keep going until autumn.

Cist us can be pretty spectacular.

PlayOnWurtz Fri 07-Apr-17 16:16:16

I've filled a border with roses, peonies, clematis (along the back fence) Heather and lavender. I leave it to itself most of the year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now