Garden shredders

(6 Posts)
MrsBertBibby Mon 10-Oct-16 13:47:48

We're thinking of splashing out on one of these, to keep on top of our massive green waste generation. Anyone got any experience of them?

shovetheholly Mon 10-Oct-16 13:55:08

I have the same issue and am looking into this at the moment!

One thing I can say is that my experience has been that it is not worth buying the cheap ones. I had a Bosch one that was about £80 a few years ago, and it just took ages to shred, constantly jammed and was a complete PITA to clear.

Which? recommend the Makita UD2500 which is £200.

PurpleWithRed Mon 10-Oct-16 14:00:43

yup got a bosch electric, it's invaluable. AXT200. Which? gives score of 70%; highest scoring is Makita UDT 200. Whatever you go for consider how moveable it is and how easy it is to unclog and how much to replace blades.

bookbook Mon 10-Oct-16 16:48:57

We had a Bosch one, but it ended up just sat in the shed, it constantly locked if anything over about an inch diameter got in, and it was slow, it took forever, and DH hated the noise ! We have a very good green waste collection now , once a fortnight, so sadly, it tends to be sent off to that!

shovetheholly Tue 11-Oct-16 08:08:00

I wonder if we had the same model, book?? That sounds like an exact description of what mine did!! I suspect this is a thing where you have to drop some cash to get a decent one, and where the more you spend the better you get. I have been finding excuses to linger and watch the tree surgeons in the city and they have a huuuuuuge one that is on a trailer and it can munch its way through really, really big branches. I have chipper envy!! It probably costs thousands and thousands.

We have no green waste collection (bah! having an incinerator in the city is rubbish - recycling rates are terrible, even though it is way more ecofriendly than incinerating stuff) unless we pay something like £80 a year.

Ferguson Tue 11-Oct-16 20:48:44

There are two different types of shredder:

The noisy 'impact' sort, with rotating blades that slash through stuff by brute force;

and the much quieter sort that has gears that crush material more slowly.

www.lawnmowersdirect.co.uk/faqs/view/best-garden-shredders-for-home-use--buying-guide

You need to examine the two types, to see which will be better suited for your garden, and the material you produce.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now