House plants that I can't kill?!

(22 Posts)
ladybird69 Thu 04-Aug-16 01:29:41

I'm terrible at keeping plants alive but I want to add some greenery into the house. Can you tell me of easy-care plants please.

Just5minswithDacre Thu 04-Aug-16 01:52:30

Peace lilies are very forgiving. Also rubber plants. Both have lots of lovely deep green foliage.

JT05 Thu 04-Aug-16 07:12:52

Spider plants are very forgiving and tolerate a bit of neglect. They also send out little plants on long stems.

InsufficientlyCaffeinated Thu 04-Aug-16 07:17:20

Succulents. I have some that desperately need repotting, I rarely water, and which my cat keeps knocking off the shelf because he's evil but they're still doing well!

Gatekeeper Thu 04-Aug-16 07:24:20

Do you have pets? Many of them are highly toxic if ingested, chewed or even rubbed against

If you so have pets then ferns, palms and spider plants safe . The latter will survive a huge amount of neglect

insancerre Thu 04-Aug-16 07:25:34

I have yet to find one smile

brodchengretchen Thu 04-Aug-16 07:26:47

Fake plants?

MackerelOfFact Thu 04-Aug-16 07:32:31

My spider plant has endured years of neglect and still persists in looking passably alive.

I cringe with shame whenever someone gives me a beautiful orchid as I know it will just be a sorry-looking twig within a matter of weeks. sad

PolterGoose Thu 04-Aug-16 07:36:57

Despite being a fairly competent gardener I struggle with house plants blush

I am currently managing to keep a Christmas Cactus, an Aspidistra and a Money Plant alive...

Aspidistras are known as the 'Cast Iron Plant' as they're pretty tough and indestructible.

BastardBernie Thu 04-Aug-16 07:44:14

IKEA house plants are pretty hard to kill in my (minute) experience! smile
I would really like to know, too

dun1urkin Thu 04-Aug-16 07:45:47

I came on to say aspidistras. Mine is about 50 years old. It's watered very infrequently and the pot is significantly more root than soil. It's fine.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Thu 04-Aug-16 07:51:52

Schefflera - umbrella tree. Mine is nearly 30 years old, it sits in a corner, I chuck some water in once every couple of months and dust its leaves occasionally by taking it outside when it's raining.

Money plant - similar.

I have a peace lily at work, it guzzles water, I have to get a colleague to water it when I'm on holiday.

Keeping them away from radiators and sunny windowsills is one of the best ways to keep them happy IMO.

PinkSquash Thu 04-Aug-16 07:54:13

Spider plants thrive on neglect it seems, even I can't kill it grin

ItsTimeForDuggee Thu 04-Aug-16 07:56:35

Cacti are pretty hard to kill

PolterGoose Thu 04-Aug-16 08:00:41

I've never managed to keep a cactus alive...

backtowork2015 Thu 04-Aug-16 09:04:58

Aloe Vera, I've had mine (or rather the descendants of it) for over a decade!

ladybird69 Thu 04-Aug-16 19:42:30

Oh wow thanks for all your suggestions. I've just killed a spider plant! So I am quite hopeless. I can't bring myself to buy fake plants. I like the look of aspidistras and aloe Vera, ferns usually die within a month! Does it matter where you position them or is it all down to watering?

MackerelOfFact Fri 05-Aug-16 08:58:36

I've just realised that the plant I have that I assumed was a spider plant is in fact a dragon tree - I can't tell you how irregularly I water the thing, probably about once every three months when one of the leaves begins to look a tiny bit brown. It's probably tripled in size in the 4 years or so I've had it and badly needs repotting but it still looks nice!

Footle Sun 07-Aug-16 09:59:49

Oxalis, 'chocolate ' or plain ?

BatonRouge Mon 08-Aug-16 19:47:39

I've had a fatsia in the same pot for around 5 years and it continues to grow and flourish. Looks great indoors with beautiful architectural leaves. Just water it sporadically!

BatonRouge Mon 08-Aug-16 19:49:07

MIL tongues are almost indestructible too!

backtowork2015 Sun 14-Aug-16 21:44:54

My aloes are on a bright sunny windowsill at the moment but I try to ignore them as much as possible, they thrive on neglect. I once put them in the spare room whilst we had renovations and forgot about them fir nearly 3 months, when I found them they were in flower !! My aunt says flowering is a natural last ditch attempt for attention for these types of plants. Honestly, get an aloe, easy peasy and handy when you burn yourself on the oven, they reproduce like rabbits too, I'm always handing out baby plants to mates

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now