Talk

Advanced search

Mystery plant - help!!

(13 Posts)
shovetheholly Sun 05-Jun-16 17:25:57

I just bought this at a very good nursery near me. When the owners aren't in, you post the money through the letterbox! However, it was unlabelled!

What it is? Anemone like flower and leaves but about a foot tall and in bloom now, so too late for a wood anemone (and too big) yet too early for a Japanese type. I'm stumped!! Help me good folks of Mumsnet!!

Dogolphin Sun 05-Jun-16 17:51:59

It looks like my Japanese anenomies but they don't usually bloom until later in the summer, could it have been forced?

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Sun 05-Jun-16 18:00:53

Aguilera?

handslikecowstits Sun 05-Jun-16 18:47:01

It's a white pasque flower. The flowers look like anemone but the foliage is the giveaway. See pic: upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/97/Pulsatilla_alpina_1-T20.JPG A wiki link so you're safe to click on it.

NanTheWiser Sun 05-Jun-16 18:51:17

I don't think it's Pulsatilla, although very similar - i think it's Anemone coronaria flowering a bit late.

Gatekeeper Sun 05-Jun-16 19:00:48

looks like one our neighbour has

anenome coronaria ' The bride'

Gatekeeper Sun 05-Jun-16 19:01:14

..and I still can't spell anemeoemeney

shovetheholly Mon 06-Jun-16 07:27:06

Ooooh, thank you all so much! I think you are right that it's some kind of Anemone coronaria. The only thing is (and this is the fault of my picture) - it's yellow. Not cream, not white, but a lemony yellow. Whereas The Bride is a froofy-dress white/ivory isn't it??

shovetheholly Tue 07-Jun-16 08:45:53

I contacted the nursery, and <drumroll>

it's

Anemone multifida var. magellanica.

Likes sun, so will be going in the front garden!

Gatekeeper Tue 07-Jun-16 09:22:39

Thought it was <lies>

shovetheholly Tue 07-Jun-16 09:27:40

grin at gatekeeper - I don't think my crappy picture helped matters!

You beat the hell out of me at the plant IDs! You're really good at it!

Gatekeeper Tue 07-Jun-16 16:36:18

Beer helps

MyNightWithMaud Tue 07-Jun-16 23:04:58

Every day's a school day on the MN gardening threads. That's why I love 'em so.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now