Talk

Advanced search

Starter for Christmas Day - I am pregnant and without seafood have lost inspiration!

(11 Posts)
meep Sat 25-Oct-08 14:17:19

I am on starter duty for Christmas day - I normally do some sort of prawn/seafood type thing or pate. But this year I'm pregnant and am at a loss.

It also has to travel well and be made in advance (Christmas day at DB's house, 1 hour away)

Recipe gurus, I need your help!

Overmydeadbody Sat 25-Oct-08 14:24:12

red onion and goat's cheese tartlets

Overmydeadbody Sat 25-Oct-08 14:24:41

or mini roasted vegetable basil and parmesan bruschettas

MorticiaAnnSpookington Sat 25-Oct-08 14:26:02

some soup- chestnut soup perhaps ?

Overmydeadbody Sat 25-Oct-08 14:27:38

or actually just a selection of a range of different mini tartlets (I'd either buy the ready made pastry cases or make them in advance and freeze them, making them quite small.

I'd do fillings that can just be put in them, rather than ones that need to be cooked in the pie cases.

Overmydeadbody Sat 25-Oct-08 14:29:30

Does one really need a starter for christmas day though? Could you not just suggest making one of the dishes?

Overmydeadbody Sat 25-Oct-08 14:30:14

I know, asparagus (one per person) wrapped in parma ham.

LackaDAISYcal Sat 25-Oct-08 14:32:37

I would still have seafood tbh, you should be fine with supermarket bought prawns....or maybe a hot smoked salmon or trout mousse/pate, so you know that the fish has been cooked.

lilolilmanchester Sat 25-Oct-08 16:38:31

melon and/or pear wrapped in parma ham? Nice and light given all that is to come

Nagapie Sat 25-Oct-08 17:22:41

Grilled mushrooms

meep Sat 25-Oct-08 17:52:47

thank you all for your ideas - unfortunately, yes, a starter it must be!

Am liking the sound of tartlets - they'll appeal to the small people as well (if I make smiley faces on them)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now