Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is guacamole bad for toddlers?

(13 Posts)
colditzmum Wed 02-Feb-05 21:44:33

I let ds have a taste, he is 22 mo, and he really likes it!

Plus if anyone knows what you serve it with, I am open to suggestions!

Twiglett Wed 02-Feb-05 21:45:44

why would it be?

its avocado and tomatoes mainly

go for it

serve it with crudites .. batons of cucumber, raw carrot, cherry tomatoes

or with warm pitta bread maybe

lou33 Wed 02-Feb-05 21:46:40

the only thing i found with avocado when mine were small, was that too much gave them the runs, and it ain't a nice sight!

NotQuiteCockney Wed 02-Feb-05 21:48:06

Guacamole's great for kids.

I make it at home, and serve it with:
- fried tortillas (not the chips, the flatbread) with cheese
- nachos, either plain or with melted cheese

It's also good with refried beans, in tortillas with meat, sour cream, chopped tomatoes and onions, etc etc.

Frizbe Wed 02-Feb-05 21:48:11

surely it should be fine, its only avacado isn't it? (although I have known people make it with mushed peas!) serve with breadsticks? better than salty tortillas for little uns!

jamiesam Wed 02-Feb-05 21:48:20

I'd say it's very good for them. (Not sure what added ingredients in ready made). Serve with pitta bread and bread or veg sticks for dipping. Try him on houmous too - my ds's just suck it off the veg or a spoon!

vicdubya Wed 02-Feb-05 21:48:41

Started to give DS avocado pureed at 6 months so can;t see why not..

Is it homemade or shop bought?

If shop bought might have tomato & chili in it, but again, can;t see the harm in that if he likes it?

Dip things in it, eg breadsticks, strips of pepper, raw carrots?

lou33 Wed 02-Feb-05 21:48:48

am getting hungry now....

essbee Wed 02-Feb-05 21:49:54

Message withdrawn

colditzmum Wed 02-Feb-05 21:51:59

It is shop bought, its got salt on the label but dopesn't taste very salty. Could you put it on a cheese sandwich? (runs for cover...)

essbee Wed 02-Feb-05 21:52:34

Message withdrawn

colditzmum Wed 02-Feb-05 21:56:52

It's just smushed avocado isn't it? Have already got a big tub in the fridge...<<<<sigh>>>>>>

....the joy of having a chef for a partner, they come back from the shops with guacamole, some fruit you've never heard of and no bog roll!!

melsy Wed 02-Feb-05 21:58:50

I think some of the supermarket ones have more chilli than others , but my dd 16 mths smacks her lips and want to stuff all her fingers in the pot !! like mother like daughter!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now