I would hate you to be disappointed so this is what I have made today!(11 Posts)
Attemping peppermint creams but may have added too much egg white...
Would you like to come round to my house and make the moussaka I'm supposed to be making? Would much rather sit with my feet up and MN!
And pass me a piece of cake while you're in the kitchen...
Only if I can be back before 3pm as have to start the roast dinner then!
Should have put the chicken in the slow cooker but I had thought I would be using that for puddings.
Chicken pudding? Now that's just weird.
Ooo please spill recipes for currant bread, carrot cake and muffins!
*Currant bread* Make sure you follow the recipe. I didn't and it was bit hard.
Prep time: 25 mins plus rising time.
Makes 2 loaves- each serves 8-10
450g/1lb strong plain white flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground mixed spice
25g/1oz butter, diced
2 teaspoons easy-blend dried yeast
25g/1oz caster sugar
About 225ml/8fl oz warm milk
2 tablespoons clear honey, to glaze.
1. Grease 2 450g loaf tins and set aside. Sift in the flour, salt & mixed spice into a large bowl, then rub in the butter. Stir in the yeast and sugar. Make a well in the centre, then add enough milk, mixing to form a soft dough.
2. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Shape the dough into a round, then place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover and leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in size.
3. Knock back the dough on a lightly floured surface, the gently knead in the currants until evenly distributed. Divide the dough in half and shape each half into an oblong. Place in the loaf tins, cover and leave to rise again until the dough reaches the top of the tins.
4. Meanwhile preheat the oven to 200c/400F/gas 6. Bake the loaves for 35-40 mins or until the bread is risen, golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped underneath.
5. Turn out and cool on a wire rack. While still warm, brush the loaves all over twice with honey to glaze. Leave to cool. Serve in slices.
Butterscotch Raisin Muffins
Makes 10-12 standard size
9oz plain flour
2 teasp baking powder
1/2 teasp bicarb of soda
1/2 teasp of salt (I never put salt in my baking and is always fine.)
3-5oz soft brown or white granulated sugar.
8fl oz milk
2 teasp vanilla essence/flavouring
3oz butter, melted
20z walnuts or pecans,chopped
Approx 4 tablespoons golden syrup or maple syrup or corn syrup
1. Prepare muffin tins. Preheat oven to 375-400F/190-200C.
2. In a large bowl, sift together (or stir well with a fork): flour, baking powder, bicarb and salt.
3. In another bowl, beat egg with a fork. Add sugar, milk and vanilla, followed by melted butter.
4. Pour all the wet mixture into dry. Stir until just combined and no dry flour is visable. Add raisins and walnuts/pecans during the final strokes.
5. Spoon into tins. bake for 20-25mins, until the tops are lightly browned and feel quite firm. Remove from the oven and immediately spread about 1/2 teaspoon syrup over each muffin while hot.
150ml sunflower oil, plus extra for greasing.
250g wholemeal self-raising flour.
2 tsp baking powder.
150g light muscovado sugar.
60g coarsley chopped walnuts.
125g grated carrots.
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1 tbsp milk
250g low-fat soft cheese, at room temperature.
2 tsp clear honey
1 tsp lemon juice
chopped walnuts to decorate
* 18cm square cake tin.
1. Lightly grease the tin and line the bottom with baking parchment.
2. Combine all the cake ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well until thoroughly blended. Turn into the prepared cake tin and level the surface.
3. Bake in a preheated oven at 180C/350F.Gas 4, for about 50 mins until the cake is well risen, firm to the touch and starting to shrink away from the sides of the tin.
4. Leave the cake to cool in the tin for a few minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack, peel off the lining paper, and leave to cool completely.
5. Make the topping: mix together the cheese, honey and lemon juice. Spread over the top of the cake and sprinkle the walnuts over the top. Store in the fridge until ready to be served.
Mine didn't like the icing and tbh it isn't needed. Maybe try without.
Join the discussion
Please login first.