Talk

Advanced search

Gluten free crumble topping

(10 Posts)
CrabappleBiscuit Sat 20-Jan-18 13:48:48

I’ve googled but it would be good to get a recommendation...

OP’s posts: |
Tanaqui Sat 20-Jan-18 13:50:20

2 oz sugar, 4 oz butter, 3 oz gf plain flour and 3 oz gf oats; cut up butter into cubes and rub in.

CrabappleBiscuit Sat 20-Jan-18 13:53:28

See I didn’t even know oats had gluten! Ta.

Tanaqui Sat 20-Jan-18 14:17:42

Oats dont naturally have gluten, but they get contaminated in the processing, so you have to buy special gluten free ones! Some coeliacs can't tolerate any oats as the proteins are similar - in that case you can use just flour but it isn't as nice.

If you get really stuck you can use gluten free muesli type cereal with some butter and it is okayish.

I posted too soon - meant to continue with rub in till it resembles breadcrumbs and then put on top of your fruit, bake for about 30 - 40 minutes! Bramley apples with cinnamon is my favourite, but plums also good!

1dish4theroad Sun 21-Jan-18 07:41:32

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

BlackPeppercorn Sun 21-Jan-18 07:47:28

Also, bash a bag of gf digestive biscuits. Or to be really lairy, gf ginger cookies.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Sun 21-Jan-18 07:55:46

You need to find whoever made the marks and spencer gluten free berry crumble, kidnap them, demand the recipe for them and then post it on here. Definitely nuts in it. Almonds are fine for a gluten free diet.

CrabappleBiscuit Sun 21-Jan-18 09:17:31

I’ve bought gf oats....guest isn5 coeliac but does have proper bad reactions to gluten so I’m trying to not include gluten. Hope she doesn’t have a reaction to gf oats....

FingerlingUnderling Sun 21-Jan-18 20:27:14

Have a look at fruit crisp recipes rather than crumble which are made with oats. yum

1dish4theroad Sun 21-Jan-18 23:07:34

I use ground almonds a lot in my crumbles, especially with stone fruit eg. plums, apricots, cherry, etc..

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »