Talk

Advanced search

what veg (if any...) do you put in your lasagne?

(21 Posts)
climbingrosie Mon 26-Feb-07 21:06:44

I need some suggestions, all I can think of are carrots and courgettes (and onion)

lulumama Mon 26-Feb-07 21:07:58

what about a veggie lasagne?

i always add loads of chopped tomatos, goes without saying i think !

CorrieDale Mon 26-Feb-07 21:08:08

peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes (natch), peas & sweetcorn if desperate. (yummy in veggie lasagne, not sure about them in meaty ones)

Emskilou Mon 26-Feb-07 21:08:56

mushrooms and peppers

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Beauregard Mon 26-Feb-07 21:10:58

Onions,mushrooms,peppers ,tomatoes,courgettes,sweetcorn.

PrisonerCellBlockAitch Mon 26-Feb-07 21:11:54

onions, celery, mushrooms, carrots and tomatoes. sometimes a layer of spinach.

RustyBear Mon 26-Feb-07 21:12:05

I do lasagne with lamb and leeks

PrisonerCellBlockAitch Mon 26-Feb-07 21:12:33

i've got a jamie oliver book where he puts in a layer of baked butternut squash, which i thought was a bit weird tbh.

Furball Mon 26-Feb-07 21:13:12

I buy frozen spinach and I often throw a couple of cubes into stuff like that along with stuff on corriedales list, Shredded carrot is quite useful too for chucking in here and there.

ja9 Mon 26-Feb-07 21:14:11

mushrooms are lovely in lasagne. also peppers.

climbingrosie Mon 26-Feb-07 21:18:13

so fresh tomatoes as well as tinned ones?

Usually I just add whatever's in the fridge too but am trying to write up some recipes.

Mushrooms and peppers sound good, and spinach too. I put these things in veggie lasagne but wasn't sure about in meaty ones, wouldn't the peppers be overpowering?

SNOWBall4girlz Mon 26-Feb-07 21:23:38

chopped celery and chopped carrots very small so kiddies eat them

PrisonerCellBlockAitch Mon 26-Feb-07 21:23:49

tinned tomatoes are still a vegetable.
if i make a meat sauce i use onions, celery, carrots and mushrooms usually, then that sauce can serve me with chilli, spag bol, stuffed peppers etc etc etc. i personally think peppers are a bridge too far, but that's cos i think the sweetness would be too much with carrots. without carrots, however, it'd be fine i'm sure.

climbingrosie Mon 26-Feb-07 22:02:35

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Aitch yeah I know tinned are still a veg!

PrisonerCellBlockAitch Mon 26-Feb-07 22:05:29

i know i was just joshin' ya!
have you tried lissie's cannelloni? it's very good. (although better made with cottage cheese than feta imho).

ivelostmyboobsboohoo Mon 26-Feb-07 22:11:39

i only ever do a veggie one and use peppers, courgettes, red onion, mushrooms, carrots, aubergine and red onion, oh and 2 tins chopped toms. yummy!!!

Hespera Mon 26-Feb-07 22:20:29

Aitch - my DH made that JO lasagne with the butternut squash (he's a big fan -of sqaush not Jamie so much)
That's 4 hours of his life we're not getting back! Your instincts served you well

hana Mon 26-Feb-07 22:23:48

just put whatever is leftover at end of week
carrots, broc, onions, peppers, zuchini, etc etc
it all mixes together. I also add few flakes of chilli for a bit of oomph! mmm

Gingerbear Mon 26-Feb-07 22:24:52

leeks in the cheese sauce (I know, I know it should be bechamel, but we like cheesy leeks)

PrisonerCellBlockAitch Mon 26-Feb-07 22:28:19

well yes, hespera, it seemed like a lot of prep. baking your squash before even assembling the lasagne... quelle drag.
i did think i might steal the creme fraiche layer though as i don't really like bechamel and hate making it.
what did the butternut squash taste like in a lasagne? i don't think i'd like it. and i'm a renowned Squash Fan.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now