Talk

Advanced search

Sliced bread! Which is the best?

(16 Posts)
magimedi Tue 01-Apr-14 08:56:49

This is not a stealth boast, but being retired & having plenty of time I make all our bread.

However, I have to cater for a tea party for a 100th birthday & do sarnies.

I am going to use sliced bread, but not having bought any in ages. Is there any difference between any of them & is there one that is much better?

Many thanks!

Everhopeful Tue 01-Apr-14 11:40:59

You could do some of your own bread, but you'll need a mix of others if you're trying to please everyone and you also don't say how many will be coming, so I'm ignoring cost as a limiter. DD hates wholemeal, DH and I only really like wholemeal, etc! My recommendations are just my own opinion, but go like this:
For white bread lovers, I'd go for Warburtons every time. Or I'd buy a tiger loaf in Asda (theirs is the only one that tastes different) and get it sliced. They tend to slice on the thin side and it's a big loaf, so would go a long way.
For wholemeal lovers, I'd go for Hovis Seed Sensations
My rave fave though is somewhere between the two (not that DD thinks it's as good as 50/50, which is my last ditch attempt at compromise and isn't too bad. Still a bit soggy though, as most of the white ones are) and is Burgen Soya and Linseed.

Good luck!

magimedi Tue 01-Apr-14 11:55:13

flowers Ever.

I won't use my own bread as it is 100% wholemeal & quite crumbly & hard to cut neatly. (But delicious)

Think I'll go for just white & brown Warburtons.

Onesleeptillwembley Tue 01-Apr-14 11:56:50

Agreed - Warburtons is the best sliced.

Crazy8 Tue 01-Apr-14 11:58:43

M & S sliced bread both white and whole meal is always delicious.

GemmaTeller Tue 01-Apr-14 12:00:56

Warburtons

magimedi Tue 01-Apr-14 16:17:53

flowers

Warburtons it is!

Slackgardener Wed 02-Apr-14 12:35:04

M&S farmhouse loaf would be my choice but we struggle because most commercial breads are full of chemical rubbish, at least with M&S you avoid most of them but we usually make our own.

21mealspluscake Wed 02-Apr-14 14:08:15

Where are you based madimedi? If you're near to a Paul they make some very good bread and will slice it for you in store. You can order in advance and just pick it up when you need it.

magimedi Wed 02-Apr-14 16:23:20

No where near a Paul, sadly.

Will have a look in M&S at the farmhouse as well.

PolterGoose Wed 02-Apr-14 17:16:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tb Wed 02-Apr-14 20:53:36

I'd go somewhere you can get a loaf sliced. When loaves are sliced in a bakery, they aren't completely cold. The steam condenses between the slices, and makes the bread a bit 'plasticky' even if it's stoneground wholemeal.

We used to get a large wholemeal sliced at our local Greggs, and it was a world away from one that was ready sliced.

Everhopeful Fri 04-Apr-14 15:30:03

Polter, that looks lovely - do they sell it nationwide? I'd try it.

tb, agree very much - my dad used to talk about bought bread being "plastic" or "cotton-wool" (he only bought white) and I know what he meant. That's why I said the Asda tiger loaf, as ours is quite good about slicing. OP will do just fine with the Warbies though!

GwendolineMaryLacey Fri 04-Apr-14 15:51:37

M&S white sliced is lovely and soft and my sliced bread of choice.

PolterGoose Fri 04-Apr-14 16:04:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PartyFops Fri 04-Apr-14 16:11:02

Yes I agree with the Jackson's! That's what I bought last week from waitrose and it was lush!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now