Talk

Advanced search

Help a clueless veggie with meat please

(10 Posts)

Am now the only vegetarian in the family. DD1 is coming home for the weekend and both she and dd2, having been veggie for years, have now discovered a love for gammon. I'd love to make some for them but know precisely nothing. How big a chunk would I need for 3 people and is there a way it can be cooked that doesn't need touching/poking around with?

I have a slowcooker, if any use.

And when I looked on the Sainsbo's site it had both ham and gammon but they look pretty much identical - are they different things?

Catrin Mon 17-Feb-14 19:03:56

I believe gammon is uncooked ham...

Some of the supermarket ones are sort of chopped up chunks formed into shape, if you get what I mean, so would fall apart more.

I too am veggie, but if I cook one I normally I cook a fairly large on as I find leftovers are v popular.

Cooking - I shove it in a big saucepan and cover with water. Bring to boil. Can change water and repeat at this point. Gammon vvv salty. Skim of any scuzz, let simmer for a while, like an hour. Drain, then bung in oven for an hour. (tis like other meat in a 30 mins/lb or whatever - check your label/ask butcher. I usually remove the fat for the last half hour, so any residual bits get to be melted and off the meat.

I normally serve it with new pots, a green veg and parsley sauce.

You can do posh things with scoring and cider and marmalade and all manner of stuff, but I figure if I am not eating it, I can;t be bothered!

FlumpieWumpie Mon 17-Feb-14 19:23:22

You can buy Gammon portions/slices in a sealed packet. Usually 2 thick slices, of similar size together in a pack. I usually very lightly grill them. That's the easy option, especially if you don't want to get too involved. Otherwise you can buy a big lump and boil it (think that's what people do...). I suggest buying an unsalted version as can be very salty. Have tried both M&S and Sainsbury's versions and Sainsbury's turned out the best and least salty.

Thank you. I think a big lump might be better, as less touching/poking needed! Does it always have to be boiled? Can you not just shove it in the oven/slowcooker? Not sure I fancy the idea of boiling meat smells.

Catrin Tue 18-Feb-14 00:50:27

You absolutely can, I only do it that way as a) my mother did and b) it apparently removes some of the saltiness.

I don't own a slow cooker, so can't advise on that, sorry, though I know the Nigella Ham in Coke is v popular and much discussed on here.

BuzzLightbulb Tue 18-Feb-14 08:27:48

My DP boils her gammon in coca cola, tastes delicious!

Tempting though it is to use the jiuce for gravy - don't ! Way too salty.

I'm partial to the odd piece of sliced gammon a la thick bacon which is maybe what your DD's like, grilled with a ring of pineapple (also grilled slightly, hate it cold) and chips !

For that extra indulgence add a fried egg.......

Thanks. Still really put off by the idea of boiling a chunk of meat though - doesn't it make the whole house stink?

sashh Tue 18-Feb-14 12:32:51

Just stick it in the slow cooker and serve with white sauce.

How do you do it in the slowcooker, please? Neither dd would eat white sauce though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now