Talk

Advanced search

to wish i bought a slow cooker along time a go

(34 Posts)
AuntiePickleBottom Mon 27-Jun-11 19:18:11

it has chance my life, i just chuck all the stuff in there before work and when i get home after doing homework and housework my tea is all cooked.

AuntieMonica Mon 27-Jun-11 19:20:15

good innit?

i batch cook curry sauce, pasta sauces and chillis for freezing too

smile

Emandwilliam Mon 27-Jun-11 19:21:01

YANBU Slow cookers are amazing during the winter months mines on every day!! I need some summer time receipies for them though. I have such a small kitchen so one pot dinners suit me and my space down to the ground!!

fuckmepinkandCALLmegoran Mon 27-Jun-11 19:21:46

Slow cookers are amazing.

Deemented has 3 IIRC grin

I heart my slow cooker it's so handy

GingerWrath Mon 27-Jun-11 19:23:05

We take ours camping with us, delicious warming stews!

HerRoyalNotness Mon 27-Jun-11 19:24:15

I'm thinking about getting one for winter and return to work. Any recommendations of brands?

AchtungBaby Mon 27-Jun-11 19:25:50

Hmm, I'm wondering about getting one...

But, but, but:

What do you put in before you go to work? It can't be meat, can it?
How long are most slow cooker recipes supposed to cook for?
Are there lots of one-pot dinner slow cooker recipes?

hairfullofsnakes Mon 27-Jun-11 19:28:19

Good brand recommendations? And whilst wr are at it, can anyone please recommend a good bread maker?

NettoSuperstar Mon 27-Jun-11 19:28:21

I have two and love them.
They are amazing.
If my house was burning down I'd rescue them and the Kenwood Chef.

AuntiePickleBottom Mon 27-Jun-11 19:29:31

today i cooked a whole chicken today, took around 9 hours on low and did a chicken salad

bran Mon 27-Jun-11 19:30:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AuntiePickleBottom Mon 27-Jun-11 19:31:34

i got a breville on from argos. bargin at £12 odd for a 3.5 litre one

www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4201276/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CKitchen+and+laundry%7C14418476/Trail/searchtext%3ESLOW+COOKER.htm

GingerWrath Mon 27-Jun-11 19:31:45

Crockpot do good ones, mine is a massive Morphy Richards...yes meat goes in, cooks anywhere from 6 to 8 hours, on a very low heat so meat comes out extremely tender, invaluable in the winter.

I have 3 slow cooker recipe books.

Emandwilliam Mon 27-Jun-11 19:36:15

Yes you can put meat in it! If it's mince I brown off first (not sure why i do this) If it's chicken/turkey I just wack it in with water and veggies to make stew. Didn't know you could do a roast chicken, how do you do that? Put it in dry??

SultanaofTring Mon 27-Jun-11 19:39:09

some slow cooker recommendations from a previous thread

AuntiePickleBottom Mon 27-Jun-11 19:40:08

www.ehow.com/how_2140920_roast-chicken-slow-cooker.html

i used this recipe

faintpositive Mon 27-Jun-11 19:46:24

Any one tried a ham joint in coke? absolutely fecking well delish to die for..

Tortoise Mon 27-Jun-11 19:52:30

I've only had mine a few months and do like it but really need recipe ideas! Can u recommend recipe book?
Found a gammon in cider recipe that I want to try but not got around to it.

SultanaofTring Mon 27-Jun-11 19:56:02

Ham joint in coke?!

I would recommend falafel in the slow cooker

MotivatedSperm Mon 27-Jun-11 19:56:27

We gOt one 18 months ago as a Xmas gift. Thought it was gonna be a fad but now I don't know how we lived without it. Bloody amazing bit of kit.

2madboys Mon 27-Jun-11 19:56:38

Chickens and other meat joints are great in a slow cooker. Don't need any water as it's usually half full of it's own liquid by the time it's cooked. The main problem with chickens is getting them out afterwards as they're so tender they fall apart. Have also done lamb, pork and beef.

TallulahBetty Mon 27-Jun-11 19:58:00

Ooh I cook ham in coke in my slow cooker, it's deeeelish!

Fifis25StottieCakes Mon 27-Jun-11 19:59:51

I love mine having 3 dd's who all love meat and veg. I chuck a joint of beef in with new potatoes, and veg before they get up and thats tea sorted.

My kids love the slow cooker mixes you can get for £1. The beef and tomatoe ones lush.

iklboo Mon 27-Jun-11 20:11:07

If you've had a roast chicken dinner, put the carcass (with a fair bit if meat still on) in the slow cooker. Add chopped baby corn, spring onions or leek, yellow peppers, frozen peas, maybe a bit of chopped chilli, about a pint to pint and a half of chicken stock and a packet of dried noodles (break the noodles up a bit). Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Strip the chicken meat off the carcass & return to the slow cooker & stir round. Gorgeous chicken noodle soup.

Again, chicken carcass in slow cooker. Add a tin of chopped tomatoes & a pint of chicken stock, chilli, peas, peppers, chorizo, onions - whatever you fancy. Cook on low for 6-8 hours again. Strip the meat off the carcass, stir back in. Spanish chicken!

dementedma Mon 27-Jun-11 21:05:29

I like it and would like to use it more but the DCs don't like the roasts done in it as they seem very dry and tasteless.It's not slow enough, IYSWIM - food put in before I leave for work - 8am - is dry and horrible by 6pm, even on Low.
Does lovely bolognese, but can bung that in an ordinary pan and it does just the same, so don't really see the advantage. Same with soup.
somebody help - what am i doing wrong?
it's a big Breville one by the way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now