Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

I am emotionally abusing myself

(4 Posts)
Ohdearducks Sun 29-Oct-17 12:28:23

My councillor has helped me to recognise this recently.
In my head I constantly berate, belittle and verbally abuse myself. I have been doing this for around 5 years I think.
It’s probably why I have no self esteem or confidence, why I’ve allowed myself to become morbidly obese, why I don’t look after myself or care about myself.
The more I abuse myself the more I hate myself the more I treat myself badly physically and emotionally.
The fatter I get the more I abuse, the more I abuse the fatter I get.
What the fuck is wrong with me?

Ohdearducks Sun 29-Oct-17 13:06:04

Counsellor I mean, my local member of parliament actually has nothing to do with this 🤦🏻‍♀️

uhhuhh Sun 29-Oct-17 13:10:30

I've been through this too. I had CBT & the counsellor told me I need to speak to myself the way I'd speak to a friend. I remind myself of this when I descend back into old habits & it's been helpful- I try to treat myself kindly like I would a friend & that includes the way I talk to & about myself. Good luck OP flowers

Ohdearducks Sun 29-Oct-17 17:01:12

uhhuhh
Thanks for commenting, that makes sense and my counsellor suggested similar and made me see that I wouldn’t treat someone else like this so I shouldn’t treat myself like it but it’s so hard, I’m so convinced I deserve to be treated like this that I can’t stop myselfsad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now