Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

I think I need counselling but I don't know what sort

(11 Posts)
SomewhereNow Tue 17-Jan-17 07:19:38

I've been posting about relationship issues with my DH and it's made me realise a lot of our problems may be down to me or rather to things that have happened to me in the past.

I feel like I need to address this so have booked a doctor's appointment but I'm not sure what I hope to get out of it except that I know I don't just want to be handed anti-depressants - I don't feel depressed, just angry and confused with a lot of unresolved issues.

I think I/we would really benefit from some kind of counselling and obviously the doctor will be able to advise but I'd like some idea of what to push for if that makes sense.

Manumission Tue 17-Jan-17 07:22:48

A good place to start would be to read about CBT and secisw if you would want that or not.

CBT is very popular and widespread in the NHS at the moment and it's not for everyone or every issue.

Depending on the type of issue it might be that private psychotherapy would be more helpful.

Manumission Tue 17-Jan-17 07:23:09


SomewhereNow Tue 17-Jan-17 10:00:27

Thanks, I had a look at the NHS definition of CBT but it doesn't sound like what I'm hoping for. I feel like I need to talk about stuff from my past so I can move on from it and stop blaming it for things that happen now.

milkysmum Tue 17-Jan-17 10:06:18

Your GP is unlikely to know exactly what type of therapy will be most appropriate and is much more likely to give you the contact details for your local primary mental health team to make a self referral to. In our area then what happens is you ring up and self refer. A telephone screening appointment is the arranged when they will decide which waiting list you will go on based on your presentation - CBT/ counselling/ anxiety management etc...
Waiting times can vary massively.

SomewhereNow Tue 17-Jan-17 10:57:57

Oh OK that's interesting, thanks. Frustrating about possibly having to wait but I guess it's only to be expected. I'd consider paying but not sure I can afford to, I think it's pretty pricey.

FeckinCrutches Tue 17-Jan-17 11:03:15

I saw a counsellor yesterday for the first time. He rang with a cancellation so it only took 5 days from seeing the doctor, but normal wait time for where I am is 6-8 weeks. He went though an online questionaire to determine what help I needed. I was borderline, so I'm going to see him for a couple of sessions, if he thinks I need something different after these he will refer to someone else.

Manumission Tue 17-Jan-17 11:04:00

The BACP has a website outlining different types of therapy and explaining the therapeutic process;

Manumission Tue 17-Jan-17 11:06:59

(And some therapists charge on a sliding scale according to income)

AnxiousCarer Tue 17-Jan-17 17:56:54

If you work you may be able to access councelling through your occupational health department. If you want a talking therapy then traditional councelling sounds like a good fit.

milkysmum Tue 17-Jan-17 17:59:32

Depending on what the issues are you want to address it's also worth checking out 3rd sector/ charitable organisations in your area- womens services offer excellent counselling services for example. Or if you want to address previous sexual abuse there will often be a 3rd sector organisation offering this as well as your local primary mental health team.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: