Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Booking a holiday abroad

(7 Posts)
Nervous1971 Mon 21-Mar-16 13:17:17

I've never taken my 10 year old boy abroad. We always holiday in the UK (which I love) but I now owe it to him to take him abroad (as almost all of his friends have done). I suffer with generalized anxiety and something like a holiday abroad is a nightmare for me. I assume everything will go wrong, from missing the plane to getting ill, just thinking about it is causing me stress..
Anyway, I've decided to book a short trip (3 nights to Iceland with Icelandair). Even trying to book the trip is causing me stress!! (silly I know). The booking says for 3 people in a double room...does that mean we all have to sleep in one bed???

Any advice on how to book a trip abroad?

MadisonMontgomery Mon 21-Mar-16 13:20:31

No, I would imagine it will be a double & single? Would it be easier to go to a travel agents & book it through them, so you can ask any questions you might have, they do all the booking & you have a point of reference for any future queries?

Nervous1971 Mon 21-Mar-16 13:26:28

not sure icelandair is available via a high street travel agent?

MadisonMontgomery Mon 21-Mar-16 13:28:28

No idea, but could be worth a try if it would make it easier smile

MrsRaegan Mon 21-Mar-16 13:28:57

Iceland Air might not be, but you'll be able to book up for Iceland with a travel agent.

I would assume it's a double and a single.

IsItMeOr Mon 21-Mar-16 13:32:58

Could you try phoning IcelandAir and speaking to them about the holiday you're interested in? This is the contact number from the UK holidays website:

Tel: +44 (0) 20 7874 1000

Fellow anxiety person here. Took DS to Disneyland Paris last year when he was 6 as an easy option to mean that we had at least been abroad. Trying a short flight abroad this year. Baby steps flowers.

BettyBusStop Mon 21-Mar-16 13:38:22

It will probably be a double and a fold out bed. Maybe check the hotel website or email them?

I second booking through an agent if you're worried.

Maybe also consider Eurostar or ferry elsewhere if a plane trip is adding to the anxiety? Or a coach trip abroad?

Does research help? Lots of places have video walk throughs of airports, resorts, hotels etc so you can see exactly what to expect. I also like to do a google street map walk through of the area (hopeless at map reading so it's helpful to be able to spot a few landmarks).

Hope you have a good trip.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now