Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Anxiety and bad thoughts, how do I get rid?

(5 Posts)
ElfOff Sat 16-Jan-16 09:03:52

I've suffered from anxiety for about a year now. Started oh horrendously for the first six months (just after giving birth) and has eased off in the last 6 months and in the last 3-4 weeks I have felt almost completely normal again.

However last weekend I started to worry about an old pipe in our downstairs toilet. It was ground down to fit the new toilet by the plumber. I worried that it may have been asbestos after it was done (because it had been ground down and therefore fibres would have been released. But several building professionals looked at it and said it was clay. I was completely reassured and thought nothing of it.

That was about 4 months ago. Last weekend I noticed there was still a bit of loose debris around the back of the soil pipe and started panicking all over again that it could be asbestos. I've tried to tell myself that several people have looked at it and no one has any concerns but I keep thinking what if they're wrong? But really what are the chances of the plumber, at least two other building professionals that were there at the time, a building inspector and a structural engineer who have all looked at it specifically being wrong? It's just a ridiculous thought isn't it. However it's like a worm in my brain and I can't get rid of it! Any suggestions? (I have had CBT before and really want to deal with this setback myself)

limon Sat 16-Jan-16 12:11:45

Have you looked in to mindfulness? There are some great apps about . anxiety is horrible to live with.

ElfOff Sat 16-Jan-16 20:08:39

No I haven't limon. Do you recommend any particular apps?

AppleDragon Sat 16-Jan-16 20:14:02

There's an app called SAM that suggests strategies for dealing with anxious thoughts and create a 'toolbox' for dealing with them. Worth a try.

ThePartyArtist Sat 16-Jan-16 23:11:10

If you're in the UK try Talking Therapies. You can self refer or go through GP and it's free. It helped me a lot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now