Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

An aggressive Mental Health Problem

(7 Posts)
kingfisher17 Tue 18-Nov-14 19:00:50

I would be great full for advice. My BIL has been explosively angry and bullying for years. It can come out of nowhere and for no appreciable reason. It has included bouts of threatening behaviour with knives or broken bottles also threatening/bullying phone calls, texts, emails, some with religious themes to do with satanic control and visits to our homes. It seems to be solely directed at the family.

He has also come up with various schemes for his mother to mortgage, equity release funds or sell her home and purchase a house for him to live in. Immense pressure is applied, he has engaged, financial advisers, solicitors and estate agents and told them to go ahead with the mortgage/sale when his mother has not agreed to it. Then put money down on cars and other high price items in the expectation of receiving the money.

When on rare occasions you can get mum to speak about what is going on she doesn't want to sell, but appeases her son by going through the motions then pulling out before the sale or agreement goes through. This causes an avalanche of abusive texts, phone calls and even more bullying/threatening behaviour. She is convinced he will never hurt her but on several occasions she has become so frightened that she has left her home for several weeks.

She has finally come round to the idea that he needs help but this has made her even more protective and convinced that she is the only one that can help him. He has needed professional help for such a long time. We must get help but we will have to do it anonymously.

I do not know which doctor or surgery he is registered with.

Can any one help.........

Silkchiffon Wed 19-Nov-14 13:25:57

He sounds highly dangerous and the best way to help him is to report him to the Police for Threatening Behaviour before he finally crosses the line and causes tragedy for your family.

Preciousbane Thu 20-Nov-14 00:02:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kingfisher17 Fri 21-Nov-14 08:13:19

Thank you for posting. Jobs and relationships unsuccessful currently alone.
I agree he needs professional help and reporting to the police. I am trying to find a way to do this that is safe for my family.

Silkchiffon Sat 22-Nov-14 22:56:49

I can well understand your caution OP.
Have you tired contacting MIND or using their website? They can give you excellent advice on how to approach this.

mrssmith79 Sat 22-Nov-14 23:22:29

OP, have a look at the diagnostic criteria for antisocial personality disorder - if any mh condition were to fit his actions I'd say that ( I'm a mh nurse but diagnosis is waaaay above my pay grade). All you can do at the moment really is report, report, report - any threatening behaviour at all. To be honest, without a serious incident (arrest / section 136 / street triage team etc involvement) there's very little chance of anyone intervening unless he goes to his gp of his own accord for help (and that doesn't sound likely).

Wishing you strength in getting this sorted flowers

kingfisher17 Sun 23-Nov-14 12:52:41

Thank you so much for your advice and support. It is good to know that there are people who understand.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: