Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Nausea/ sickness with citalopram

(6 Posts)
Imlostwithoutahope Mon 15-Apr-13 19:07:20

Hi,

I've been taking 20mg each day for the past 6 weeks. I'm prescribed it for mild depression and anxiety.
However I keep feeling really sick. It seems to be worse if I let myself get hungry and then I get so nauseous I can't eat and I eventually spend the day being sick.
Has anyone had ths side effect and found ways of stopping it. I feel so sick all day!!

IslaValargeone Mon 15-Apr-13 19:11:13

I had this for the first few weeks of being on it, I'm afraid I can't remember how long it lasted.
I think you'll have to be quite disciplined about keeping on top of your hunger, eat a little something every few hours to keep your blood sugar stable otherwise I think it will be a vicious circle. I ate fruit/fig rolls or little pots of rice pudding.
Hope you feel better soon.

Imlostwithoutahope Wed 17-Apr-13 21:32:39

Oh god, thanks I hope it goes soon. I feel sick so I'm not eating and then feel sick because I'm hungry so like you say it's a vicious circle.

I seem to spend the day feeling sick.

NanaNina Wed 17-Apr-13 22:52:50

All drugs have side effects and some ADs do make people feel sick - think it's quite common, but mostly these effects clear up within a couple of weeks. You don't mention if you are feeling less depressed. It's unusual for GPs to prescribe ADs for mild depression. If it is helping you feel better then I would perservere and yes eat little and often, cream crackers, ginger biscuits, bananas, grapes that sort of thing.

DiscoDonkey Wed 17-Apr-13 22:54:37

I started taking mine before bedtime, so I didn't notice the side effects.

Imlostwithoutahope Fri 19-Apr-13 19:26:56

Hi, sorry yes I do feel loads better, I didn't realize how bad I felt before and now I feel normal again. I thought the side effects would've gone by now. I've also got dodgy toilet habits so its as if they've given me ibs and sickness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now