Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Anyone had CBT? Need advice!

(12 Posts)
morrisseysquornmince Fri 23-Sep-11 18:26:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BeckyBendyLegs Fri 23-Sep-11 18:41:41

I've had CBT. I think it's great stuff. It's all about changing the way you think about things, learning new ways of thinking, and coping mechanisms for situations that may make you anxious etc. It does depend of course what you want to get out of it and what your particular needs are but it's all very much to do with the current and future, not the past.

morrisseysquornmince Fri 23-Sep-11 20:40:41

headdoctor2008 Fri 23-Sep-11 22:27:12

Hey there, Well done for plucking up courage, it's really hard to ask for help sometimes. The therapist is there to help you help yourself. The idea is that by the end of therapy you have learnt a number of skills to help you manage situations/your own thoughts in a more balanced way. Am usually sitting on the other side, people do find it a bit scary at first, but it isn't lying on a couch and saying whatever springs to mind. Good luck with it all smile

PrettyCandles Fri 23-Sep-11 22:47:02

The toughest part is accepting that you have a problem and asking for help. I don't mean that it will all be plain sailing from here on, but by taking this step you have you have taken a bigger and braver step forward than you may realise.

I found CBT very very helpful. The first few sessions were hard, but worth the effort.

My experience was that the therapist encouraged me to decide what I wanted to achieve in each session. It was a bit weird, I felt like saying "You're the teacher, so teach!". She did teach me, though. She taught me by leading, guiding, encouraging, not by instructing. I learned thinking techniques that stopped me plummeting down if I hit a trigger and thinking techniques that calmed me when I got into a rage.

The techniques are a set of new habits that you gradually get into o er the weeks of CBT.

Bohica Fri 23-Sep-11 22:53:24

I found CBT very usefull and even now after 13 years I still lean on the techniques to help me through certain situations and I haven't had any "problems" for over 10 years now <phew>

The first week was draining very hard work but soo worth it.

Good luck.

morrisseysquornmince Sat 24-Sep-11 08:42:55

Bumply Sat 24-Sep-11 09:18:48

I've had CBT and the thing that struck me when I stopped the sessions and looked back was that very few changes had been made to the situation I was in, but my perceptions of my life had swung round completely so I was no longer anxious and guilty about everything.

ThisisaSignofthetimes Sat 24-Sep-11 09:26:56

Very encouraging thread. I have just started CBT, and was so relieved to have someone to talk to. I had a session of dealing with negative thoughts and afterwards was driving away and saw a sign for some upcoming road works. My first reaction was "wtf, three months of bloody traffic jams!". Then I thought, "actually these roadworks aren't really going to affect me so why am I getting myself all worked up". It's just simple things, pre CBT I would have fumed all the way home about the roadworks. I was quite cynical about CBT before I started it, I glad to see that others are still benefiting from it years later.

TheSkiingGardener Sat 24-Sep-11 09:32:48

CBT can give you sown really useful coping skills and change the way you see things. For some people it is enough, others can find they need top ups every now and again and for others it isn't enough.

It's great that they will get you 20 sessions of CBT and I really hope it helps you. However, if at the end of it you feel you need more, or something different then don't be afraid to ask for more help. What CBT won't do is look at the underlying issues for you and if that is what you need then that help can be found. The BACP website gives a good summary of the different types of therapy available.

Good luck.

morrisseysquornmince Sat 24-Sep-11 09:50:33

thesortinghat Sat 24-Sep-11 10:00:03

I had some therapy for anxiety and mild depression and didn't even know it was CBT. The therapist seemed to build it into each session without me knowing and I came away with a set of skills and strategies to help me look at the anxieties in a different way and get over the low points.

It was a hard time in my relationship with dh but we have come out of it a stronger couple and my view on life in this last year has changed enormously. Best of luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now