Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Anxiety and comfort zones

(3 Posts)
Adversecamber Thu 16-Dec-10 18:24:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NanaNina Thu 16-Dec-10 21:43:41

I know how you feel - I was very ill last Christmas with a physical illness but then in Jan it turned into depression and anxiety, which got worse and worse and landed me in psychiatric hospital in April for 3 months. I am recovering but it is a slow recovery and a bit up and down.

Anxiety is a horrible thing - it is really fear isn't it, and like you I worry over things out of my routine, when I have usually been quite a confident person. I see a really good CPN (community psychiatric nurse) every week and we have been doing CBT which I have found helpful. I usually find thinking about doing something unusual is actually worse than doing it, and once I startw whatever it is I usually feel better.

Have you done any of the deep breathing techniques or mindful meditation for anxiety. I do the breathing and it does help. Often I notice my shoulders are really tense and up round my ears! This tells me I need to relax my body.

My CPN says it is best to push yourself through, but driving a long way could be dangerous if you are really anxious as there will be a lot of traffic at this timeof year. Can your sister drive - if so could you share the driving. Is there a reason why your DH can't drive you to see you mum.

I too hate myself for feeling like this. I think maybe after Christmas you could maybe have some more CBT (there are lots of books on the subject) and learn the breathing techniques and what is called mindfulness.

In the meantime, take good care and if you feel realy anxious and you are going to be the sole driver, I would advise that you cancel the trip, on the basis that it wouldbe unsafe for you to be driving in a state of anxiety.

Adversecamber Thu 16-Dec-10 22:15:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: