Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

When you can't take hormones and don't want a copper coil

(65 Posts)
newnameneeded29 Tue 30-Jan-18 11:18:33

What do you go for?

LadyMonicaBaddingham Tue 30-Jan-18 11:43:28

Mirena 😁

ColinFlower Tue 30-Jan-18 11:43:52

Condoms.

fairiedemon Tue 30-Jan-18 11:47:28

Vasectomy

Oddish Tue 30-Jan-18 11:48:31

Abstinence 😔

Seriously. Condoms are uncomfortable, can’t take hormones, copper coil gives me raging heavy periods from hell. Considering coil anyway. Or sterilisation.

Barabajagal Tue 30-Jan-18 11:49:07

Vasectomy.

newnameneeded29 Tue 30-Jan-18 12:43:52

Mirena is hormones hmm

Isadora2007 Tue 30-Jan-18 12:45:51

I used a diaphragm for several years. To be fair it wouldn’t have mattered if I got pregnant, but I didn’t.
Are they still an option?

Pamsie Tue 30-Jan-18 12:46:04

I'm watching as I'm in the same situation right now. I've been considering BBT thermometers/trackers, but I am still undecided.

Fluteytootey Tue 30-Jan-18 12:46:41

Following too.

Anatidae Tue 30-Jan-18 12:48:13

Many people who have a hard time with hormones tolerate mirena well,

Realistically your options are limited to:

Copper coil
Other intra uterine device
Essure
Diaphragm
Condoms
Rhythm methods. Which have a failure rate above what I’d personally consider acceptable
Permanent sterilisation of one or both parties
Abstinence

ShowMeTheElf Tue 30-Jan-18 12:49:39

Whether or not a mirena is suitable will depend on why you can't take hormones. Some people have little/no side effect and the small doses of hormones do not get systemically distributed. For some people the levels are high enough for distribution to occur and they do get problems.

newnameneeded29 Tue 30-Jan-18 12:50:23

I've been using natural cycles for 4 months and it's been fine but I'm always ever so slightly on edge

JJPP123 Tue 30-Jan-18 12:50:51

I've used NFP successfully for 5 years, only getting pregnant when we were trying to get pregnant. The whole time we were doing that though a baby wouldn't have been the end of the world. Now another pregnancy really wouldn't be great for our family so I find myself in a similar predicament. We don't want the finality of sterilisation but hormonal contraception causes me to spot constantly and I don't like the idea of a coil allowing fertilisation but stopping implantation. Condoms are the answer bit I do hate them.

BankWadger Tue 30-Jan-18 12:52:18

I can't take hormones and the mirena was no exception. Using a diaphragm now.

susurration Tue 30-Jan-18 12:56:17

Condoms and cycle tracking here. I don't want to use hormones and the thought of having any sort of intra-uterine device makes me cross my legs and wince.

newnameneeded29 Tue 30-Jan-18 12:56:31

I've tried a mirena. Hated it.
Hormones give me menstrual migraines. Natural periods give me menstrual migraines. I'm sensitive to all hormones!!

newnameneeded29 Tue 30-Jan-18 12:57:50

Yes I think I'll keep going with condoms and bbt using natural cycles. Perhaps I need to give it more time

Bluebell9 Tue 30-Jan-18 13:03:29

I have the copper coil as I can't use hormones.

The first one gave me really heavy periods and then fell out after 10 months during a really heavy period. I think it wasn't fitted properly.
I had another one fitted and I don't have any issue with my periods and its been in place for nearly a year with no issues.

Anatidae Tue 30-Jan-18 13:05:23

A copper coil would probably be a good option in terms of efficiency. Is there a reason you dont want it? Not everyone gets v heavy periods, and it’s very easy to reverse if it’s not settling after a few months. It could be worth a try.

I wouldn’t rely on the fertility apps (and I’m a scientist and understand how they work) or condoms alone.
There are options like essure but they aren’t problem free either.

It’s really bad that there are so few safe options for long term contraception.

MinnieMousse Tue 30-Jan-18 13:07:50

Condoms here too, although I would consider a diaphragm but don't think they're easily available.

TheFormidableMrsC Tue 30-Jan-18 13:11:36

I can't have any hormone based contraceptives. Copper coil has been brilliant. Admittedly, for the first few months my periods were heavier and a little longer but otherwise, it's been no problem at all and I can leave it in until menopause is done and dusted. I've had mine for four years now. I wouldn't rule it out!

newnameneeded29 Tue 30-Jan-18 13:12:50

The idea of a metal contraption being shoved up and left in my vag is just not doing it for me.

Anatidae Tue 30-Jan-18 13:23:22

Well I don’t think anyone enjoys the installation but it’s over and done pretty fast and shouldn’t cause further discomfort if done correctly.

it’s mainly plastic, like the mirena, with a copper facing on the arms, rather than being metal all over.
If you do get one it’s well worth getting it done by someone who does a lot of them.

The company behind natural cycles is currently being sued. It’s not a method I’d rely on - it does work IF your cycle continues to be regular, however as you age you can experience cycle disruption and illness etc can cause small alterations as well.

There should be much better contraceptive options, there’s woefully little new product development or research on it.

SoulStew Tue 30-Jan-18 13:24:20

No chance of him getting the snip?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: