Talk

Advanced search

Couch to 10k by September?

(9 Posts)
HariboIsMyCrack Tue 13-Feb-18 18:34:01

I am v unfit and slightly overweight. (Size 10 to12 but small frame so look bigger iykwim).

A charitable cause I care about is asking for volunteers to run a 10k in September 2018. I would be starting from scratch and realistically need a fixed immovable target to kick me up my lazy arse.

I have no problem making a tit of myself or coming last, but can it even be done given my current parlous state of fitness? Any ideas about how I would even begin to train if so?

Please be honest! TIA flowers

pombal Tue 13-Feb-18 18:42:27

So six months - no prob.

I did this last year - had never run. Managed 10k in 1:19 (60 year olds passing me).

Now regularly run 5k easily, planning on doing another 10k in April.

Go for it.

One thing though, I did get fitter but lost no weight.

timshortfforthalia Tue 13-Feb-18 18:52:47

Thats a really realistic target, go for it! I started running in july 2016 and did 10k in October. I had no history of exercise, and am very much of the last-picked-in-games-lessons camp

HariboIsMyCrack Tue 13-Feb-18 21:21:55

Thank you - some food for thought here grin

I am very close to putting my hand up for this. I get so intimidated by exercise, especially running, so I know if I don't have something concrete I will just swerve it. It's also being organised by my DS' school so double the amount of pressure. It's reassuring to know I am not the only person lumbering reluctantly towards running.

Not worried about weight loss, thanks pom - just mentioned it to give an idea of my level of lardiness (forgot to disclose my age though - 42 - yikes!)

I was also in that camp tim so maybe there is hope for an ancient lardarse like me! grin

pombal Tue 13-Feb-18 22:54:15

It’ll be fine - some people will walk/run and have done no preparation.

I’m 47, not a natural at running, never done anything before.

I’d tried to jog/run before but always given up.
Knowing I had to do 10k kept me going.

Just get out 3 x / week, alternate walking and running if you have to at first.

BlueChampagne Thu 15-Feb-18 13:24:50

Go for it - and keep us posted - your virtual running mates! C25K is 9 weeks which will get you started. And if it's for charity then no-one will mind if you take the odd walking break.

HariboIsMyCrack Thu 15-Feb-18 21:25:16

I signed up yesterday! Going to start C25k in the gym at work and once I can go on the treadmill for a bit without dying I will start running outdoors! Scared but excited - and yes blue I strongly suspect walking breaks will feature! 👍🏻smile

Sammysquiz Fri 16-Feb-18 14:22:58

Yes! Couch to 5K is the hard bit. Once you can run for 30 mins or so then adding on more time/distance is (relatively!) easy.

HariboIsMyCrack Fri 16-Feb-18 18:39:43

Thanks Sammy - at the moment the idea of running 30 minutes seems a long way off! But I will get there 👍

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now