Talk

Advanced search

Spinning with a bad back-good or bad idea?

(4 Posts)
HughLauriesStubble Mon 09-Oct-17 16:59:53

I've been eyeing up a local spinning class but am reluctant to sign up as I have chronic inflammation in my si and facet joint. My overall fitness is ok, I walk 3 miles a day, and I used to cycle although I haven't done it much since my injury 6 years ago.

Is spinning likely to aggravate my back? I recently did reformer pilates to strengthen my core so was hoping I could edge back towards decent cardio exercise. I need a good workout!

PickleSarnie Mon 09-Oct-17 17:35:50

I think you could probably adjust your bike so the handlebars are higher than your seat so you don't need to arch over in your seat.

Like you're spinning on one of those bikes with baskets and quaint little bells instead of a road bike!

SummerKelly Mon 09-Oct-17 17:43:05

I found spinning fine for a while and I had a similar problem, but then one day it started to hurt. I’d say try it and take it easy and see how it goes.

brownfang Tue 10-Oct-17 16:52:41

I found in spinning class that you get up leaning on your arms a huge amount (standing). I guess you don't know until you try how your back would be affected by that. I have bad shoulders so it was too hard for me to lean on my arms so much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now