Talk

Advanced search

How do I pick a personal trainer?!?!

(3 Posts)
Aubrey1982 Wed 22-Feb-17 07:14:53

I've read some of the posts on here about the benefits of personal trainers and i really feel like one would be a big benefit in helping me achieve my health and fitness goals but how do I go about finding one that is suitable for me?

I'm really struggling with this as none of my friends use one so I can't get any personal recommendations.

I'm not a member of a gym and am not particularly keen on joining one just to have a trainer (plus aren't most big gym trainers just newbies that don't have much experience - or am I wrong in thinking that?).

I'm worried about committing to a block of sessions and then finding out after a few sessions I don't like the trainer very much.

Has anyone used Bidvine?

Please help. I am based in S London.

LordEmsworth Wed 22-Feb-17 08:10:48

I'm worried about committing to a block of sessions and then finding out after a few sessions I don't like the trainer very much

Well - don't commit to a block of sessions... and run away from any trainer who wants you to!

My trainer offers a free first session so you can see if it/he's right for you. I'd expect as a minimum a commitment-free first session - you have to like the person training you, or it will be miserable.

Look for:
- Do they ask about you/your goals, and listen and explain how they can help
- Do they have relevant insurance, qualifications and experience
- Is the first session at least a little bit fun and challenging, without actually killing you...

My trainer is self-employed and trains out of a small independent gym as well as in-home (or sometimes in the park). He also does programs so I train with him once, and on my own a couple of times a week. Have you looked at the smaller independent gyms nearby - they may not have pools, classes, saunas etc but I'd never go back to one of the big chains now?

Littlepumpkinpie Wed 22-Feb-17 09:39:55

If your in London then UP fitness Mayfair has proven results with every client worth every penny.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now