Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Some anatomical/physiological questions for people whop know about running.

(3 Posts)
cheapandcheerful Mon 26-Sep-16 22:07:25

I have been running for about 18 months and seem to have hit a brick wall. There are some things holding me back and I think if I can understand/solve the following (probably age-old) problems then I might just shave enough off my time to get that elusive pb!

So here it goes. Any thoughts welcome! smile

1. When I am running a long uphill, why do I get pins and needles from the waist down? I think it's something to do with either a lack of oxygen to the muscles or a build-up of lactose acid or something rusty memory from science lessons back in the day ...How do I prevent this?

2. When I get to the top of said hill, why does it feel like my kidneys are about to fall out?

3. Why do I only ever get a stitch when I'm running downhill? Is it something to do with my posture?

4. Why do I sometimes NEED to spit, and other times I can manage not to, and other times I don't feel the need to at all? It was particularly bad in the spring...was this because of hayfever?

These are the things I ponder as I run up and down my hills so I thought I'd draw upon the collective wisdom of mumsnet to help me solve them!

Shiningexample Tue 27-Sep-16 16:28:08

pins and needles sounds like something pressing on a nerve...maybe the sciatic nerve?

spitting I presume is to do with mucous production?
I get this a lot when I run, but with me it's a runny nose and I get it more in cold weather

I've not suffered with stitch since I was a child and my kidneys never speak to me so cant help with those two!

BareFacedKitty Sun 09-Oct-16 23:47:42

3. In my experience I tend to get stitches when I'm running faster than my comfy pace - since you're going downhill you'll be going faster. This stopped as my fitness increased, so try going just a tad slower on the downhills and see if it stops.

No idea about the others!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now