Talk

Advanced search

I am old and I am fat and I am very unfit.

(236 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Myinlawsdidthisthebastards Sat 21-May-16 10:56:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pagwatch Sat 21-May-16 10:57:05

I started with a personal trainer at about 50.
Changed my life.

Pagwatch Sat 21-May-16 10:57:42

Posted early...

It will be fine. Good luck.

Myinlawsdidthisthebastards Sat 21-May-16 10:58:03

cosmicglittergirl Sat 21-May-16 10:58:22

Good on you.

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Sat 21-May-16 10:58:30

All that can easily be changed!

Good luck

I'm 47 and ran my first marathon last year. Never thought I would

Myinlawsdidthisthebastards Sat 21-May-16 10:58:31

Ragwort Sat 21-May-16 10:58:54

Good luck, I am 58, have recently lost two stone and take part in aerobic and spin classes three times a week - plus using the gym and swimming as well. I never thought I would get slim and fit.

DaisyArcher Sat 21-May-16 10:59:22

Then you're not old.

Pagwatch Sat 21-May-16 10:59:25

SO NOT OLD THEN!

<hard stare>

Pagwatch Sat 21-May-16 11:02:07

Oh it will be great - good for you!

I started because I was having so much trouble with my back I couldn't move at times. My PT started slowly.
I lost a stone and a half and my back is so much better. My energy levels are much much better.

Good for you - really!

GloGirl Sat 21-May-16 11:03:41

I really fancy a personal trainer. Not an actual one, I mean I like the idea of getting one.

For those who have been very overweight and unfit, what was your first session like?

junebirthdaygirl Sat 21-May-16 11:03:54

I'm 55. Lost stone and a half two years ago. Began exercising doing circuit training few months ago. Can't believe how much l love it. Was sporty in younger years but lost it all. Just love it. My jeans fit well and l have much more energy. Be warned the first few times l needed panadol to walk up the stairs so don't panic. You will be a new woman!

Myinlawsdidthisthebastards Sat 21-May-16 11:04:15

blueskyinmarch Sat 21-May-16 11:06:26

I so want to do this! I am 53 and fat and unfit. I am so stiff. I have started Pilates classes and this is helping. I need to get better with my eating/drinking habits.

We can start Fat to Fit at 50 support group right here?

Wincarnis Sat 21-May-16 11:07:17

Well done!
(You are not alone. I had mobility issues after years of having a desk job... Gym, physio - embarrassing, but so, so worth it)

Pagwatch Sat 21-May-16 11:07:25

You absoloutely will have more energy.
I don't talk about it unless someone asks but honest to God, the difference is amazing.
I like being less knackered at night but better still is waking up in the morning feeling fine, not like someone dropped a sofa on me.

JasperDamerel Sat 21-May-16 11:10:35

I'm younger than you (early forties) but after I'd had had a long illness last year and dropped out of the overweight category and into obesity, I started going to Crossfit classes a few months ago and it's the best thing I've done for ages. The first few weeks were really, really tough and the changes are gradual rather than overnight, but three months in and I'm already able to things I thought I'd never do again.

Myinlawsdidthisthebastards Sat 21-May-16 11:11:06

Myinlawsdidthisthebastards Sat 21-May-16 11:15:36

Myinlawsdidthisthebastards Sat 21-May-16 11:17:59

HemanOrSheRa Sat 21-May-16 11:19:31

Ooh well done My! I recently started training with a PT. I booked and paid for a block of 10 sessions so I have to do it smile. I've had 3 sessions now.

GloGirl I am very overweight after piling on about 2 stone in 2 months earlier this year when my Dad was dying. My first PT session was TOUGH! And I felt a bit daft. I got incredibly hot, red faced and sweaty. And may have sworn at her grin. But Personal Trainers are a weird bunch because they like to see you like that, I think. It means they've done their job well! I ached all over for a couple of days afterwards. That is a good sign - it's DOMS grin.

I think the difference with training with a PT versus doing stuff on your own is they push you to do the bits that are tough but that make the difference. I've done lots of fitness dvd's etc at home over the years and thought I was doing it right. I really wasn't, it would appear confused.

Myinlawsdidthisthebastards Sat 21-May-16 11:21:33

JasperDamerel Sat 21-May-16 11:25:29

No offence taken - and I'm five inches taller than you and a dress size bigger - the jump from overweight to obese isn't as big as you might think.

Myinlawsdidthisthebastards Sat 21-May-16 11:26:20

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now