Talk

Advanced search

nearly finished c25k but nowhere near 5k

(5 Posts)
octopusinabox Thu 22-Sep-11 12:14:47

I'm on the last week of c25k and thought I'd take my phone out with me with a running app. According to the app I'm only doing 3.5km so nowhere near 5k! I'm a bit slow and have short legs but honestly, that ridiculous isn't it. Shouldn't I be closer than that by now?

screamingeels Thu 22-Sep-11 12:20:53

I don't know but can sypmathise. I am on week 9, felt very chuffed at managing 30mins of running but have discovered it's only just over 4k and it does feel very slow. I am sort of hoping that if I keep going 'speed will come' - which seems to be general advice. But how and where from I'm not sure..

THis happened to me too, I finished around June doing 3.8km. I then spent the summer trying a variety of tactics (different routes, more hills etc) to get my speed up with little success, I though if I just kept running for 30 mins regularly I would speed up, but I only managed to speed up by a tiny fraction.

So, I have decided to do the C25k again, I am using an Iphone app (Runkeeper) to monitor my progress and this time I am aiming to do all the running intervals at a speed of 30mins/5k. I'm on week 3 at the moment and it is hard, but I am getting there, so far every week it has taken me all three runs to get an average below the 30 min mark. I feel much more motivated again and am really enjoying it.

shreddedandnotatallsmug Sun 25-Sep-11 01:21:49

I am the same. A friend of mine who is a good runner told me that you have to keep pushing yourself, as your body gets used to doing the same thing over and over again. He explained that as you get fitter, and the movements become less hard work for your muscles, unless you consciously try to speed up your body will stay in its comfort zone. I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself very well, but I know what I mean...

My solution has been to have some time off from running (am only doing it once or twice a week just now) and do the 30 day shred instead. When I ran earlier this week I started C25K again, but jogged when I should have been walking and ran as fast as I could for the 1 minute running intervals. Because you do 2 mins of cardio in the shred, I knew I could cope with 1 minute of fast (by my standards!) running grin

<wave to WhoKnows> smile

mollycuddles Sun 25-Sep-11 07:49:03

Did c25k from feb so finished it ages ago. Been running x3/week ever since. I do intervals. I do hill running. I practice kilometres at 6mins a k pace. I've been working on stamina and distance and did my first 10k yesterday. I'm improving all the time.
I still take 33 mins to run 5k. I know I'll do it in 30 mins one day. I'm probably joining a running club to get support/advice/coaching to help me get there. Do you have a parkrun anywhere near you? Google it. It's a timed 5k run, free to enter, every weekend. I love it and they record my times online for posterity.
Keep on going.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now