Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you take this offer

(59 Posts)
Dineoutone Sun 12-Feb-17 20:46:59

I've been in job hell for months. Crying on the way home, dreading work.

I raised the issue and my employer says they will give me 3 months pay and I don't have to come in. As long as I hand my notice in.

This would give me 3 months to find a job. I have no savings (200 quid), and a family that would probably help me out if it got so awful I couldn't pay my mortgage.

I've always been very anti risk so this feels tempting but scary. The alternative is to stay in my job but I would be looking to move asap because of how bad it is there and they wouldn't give me this offer again if I don't accept this week.

What would you do? I have no dc and I'm 30 if that makes a difference.

Solasum Sun 12-Feb-17 20:50:56

Yes. Life is too short to be miserable and no one is depending on you but you. Have one week to recover, then start job hunting. Good luck!

whoneedswings Sun 12-Feb-17 20:52:21

That's very generous of them I'd be tempted to take it. I too was very ill with work a couple of years ago (long term bullying by a manager.) Did a lot of damage, I got through it and I'm stronger now but if it's really affecting you like this then it's not worth your long term health. Just make sure you approach looking for a new job like work i.e. get up and apply for a job or 2 a day. Or look at studying or re- training?

cheapskatemum Sun 12-Feb-17 20:53:52

I would take it too. Imagine how much worse your job will be after you have turned this offer down.

Dineoutone Sun 12-Feb-17 20:53:54

I couldn't afford to re train and I'm happy with the work I do, just not with this employer. I've already started looking for jobs, one interview so far...

It's just not like me to take financial risks

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Sun 12-Feb-17 20:53:56

Why is your job hell?

How long have you been there?

Dineoutone Sun 12-Feb-17 20:54:37

My boss is awful. It's been terrible for months and I'm so unhappy there.

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Sun 12-Feb-17 20:54:42

Also, how likely are you to get another job?

Dineoutone Sun 12-Feb-17 20:55:15

I don't know how likely it is to get another one. It could take longer than 3 months which is my worry.

Bob19701 Sun 12-Feb-17 21:01:25

Could you not take another job to fill in the gap until the right job in your field comes along , I don't think I would stay in a job that I feel so bad about . Take the money, back yourself and move on it could be the best thing you have ever done . Good luck

GeekyWombat Sun 12-Feb-17 21:01:36

Which sector is it? Could you get temporary work / contracts etc at a pinch while you looked for something permanent?

Dineoutone Sun 12-Feb-17 21:03:16

I don't want to out myself but it would be hard to find temp work. The situation most likely will be wait it out to find something else. Which is the stressful part. I've got one interview and started looking a week ago so it could go well, but equally the anti risk taker in me says it could go badly too

SuperPug Sun 12-Feb-17 21:05:46

It's a good offer but why are they not willing to do something about your boss? Does he/she own the company?
Better to be out of here as this kind of person is corrosive. Unfortunately, many seem to get away with as they're never really held to account- would you be willing to make an official complaint?

OhHolyJesus Sun 12-Feb-17 21:08:07

I'd take it but check your contract as this sounds like gardening leave - do they mind if you begin working in that 3 months period for a competitor or for a company in the same field?

You can always find work doing something, even working at night and then do interviews during the day. You will manage and probably feel a lot happier and therefore come off better in interviews. 3 months is a long time and you already have an interview. If it applies, register with lots of agencies and be a go-getter on linked in.

Good luck OP, life is short, make it count.

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Sun 12-Feb-17 21:08:33

How likely are you to get another job within 3 months? How long does the interview and referencing period take?
How long will your 3 months payoff last if you are really frugal?
If you don't get another job by then, what is your backup plan? Any option to temp/ work in a short term job whilst still hunting?

If I was in your situation I would definitely take the offer, but I would be confident of getting something else within 3 months, so tricky if you're not.

Dineoutone Sun 12-Feb-17 21:09:52

I've been through the complaint route - it's all very political and I've lost faith in the whole place to be honest. I definitely know I want to leave no matter what - I just don't know whether to take this offer. I'm not allowed to work in the 3 months but that's ok, I'm just concerned about work after that point. I've never taken any risks in my life like this, yet the offer is so tempting!

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Sun 12-Feb-17 21:10:21

What are your essential outgoings - could you meet them with another lower paid temporary job if needs be?

Dineoutone Sun 12-Feb-17 21:11:21

Chances of getting another job in that time... I'm not sure. I would like to think I would find something. My family would support me in the very worst case, but it's not the route I want to go down as I'm very independent. I could probably buy myself an extra month living costs over the 3 months which would give me 4 to find a job.

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Sun 12-Feb-17 21:12:37

Hmm I think with no savings it is tricky
You said family may be able to help you out, could you speak to them to find out if it is possible?

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Sun 12-Feb-17 21:13:00

X post

StorminaBcup Sun 12-Feb-17 21:14:32

Take it. It gives you 3 months - paid - to clear your head and look at your career / find a new job with no distractions.

You've said you will not be offered this again, if you turned it down is there any risk that you could be dismissed in the future (with no pay)?

nell15 Sun 12-Feb-17 21:20:41

Do it. Life's too short to be so unhappy in your job.
I was in a similar situation and got offered 3 month salary to go. I took it and got another job. I had to work out a story to explain why I left my job I said I'd had family problems - my dad had died a year before and I needed to take some time off work.
It all worked out well and was all fine

Muddlewitch Sun 12-Feb-17 21:21:04

What are their terms- have you discussed anything like references etc, will they count it as absence if asked?

I would go for it I think, I know it's a gamble but for things to have got to this stage it sounds like staying would be gambling with your own mental health and wellbeing which is a higher risk.

refusetobeasheep Sun 12-Feb-17 21:24:21

You need to get agreement on a reference before agreeing to anything. write the reference you want, they can then amend and you both agree on the final format. and get in writing that this is the reference they will use.

NotTheFordType Sun 12-Feb-17 21:39:47

If they've offered you the out, take it. If you don't take it, trust me they will be starting proceedings after 3 months and 1 day to get rid of you.

Take the cash, throw everything into getting another job.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now