Talk

Advanced search

Any teachers left teaching?

(14 Posts)
pudding25 Sat 24-Sep-11 19:10:05

If so, what have you done? I want out but need something that pays similar and is part-time. Am I living in a dream world that there is anything out there for me? I am primary.

spanieleyes Sat 24-Sep-11 19:19:04

Surely teaching IS part-time, everyone knows that grin

cat64 Sat 24-Sep-11 19:29:07

Message withdrawn

ilovesooty Sat 24-Sep-11 23:07:01

I work for a charity. I've been involved in a variety of projects and currently I'm working in drug intervention and also delivering Next Step Information Advice and Guidance.

I'm afraid that the bad news is that after 7 and a half years there and two promotions I earn about the same as an NQT, and very few of us are able to work part time.

I also retrained as a counsellor (which cost a bomb) and of course that pays better - when I get the work.

The fact is: teaching is well paid and it's difficult to get anything comparable if you leave.

pudding25 Sun 25-Sep-11 13:58:18

These are the kinds of responses I was unfortunately expecting. Most of the time, being in the classroom is fine but I am constantly working all hours to keep up with all the planning, marking, assessment etc etc and worrying about the children-I just want a job where I can go home and forget about work (but earn the same money). So frustrating.

wonkylegs Sun 25-Sep-11 14:00:07

My MIL left teaching and became a plumber - she has just retired to spend more time with the grandkids grinb

BranchingOut Sun 25-Sep-11 14:03:54

Trying to leave over here!

I think that you can find something else, especially if you live in a large city, but you may have to accept a bit of a pay cut and consider some further training.

Another similar thread:

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/employment_issues/761261-Ex-teachers-what-do-you-do-now

wonkylegs Sun 25-Sep-11 14:04:10

Sorry pressed send too quickly... She was a language teacher but retrained at the local college and ran her own business her + plumbers mate. She did well with old people and women both taking a shine to having a middle aged female plumber - I think it made them trust her more. Business was good but she's quite soft so often didn't charge some people very much but it always ran at a profit and she worked when she felt like it

BranchingOut Sun 25-Sep-11 14:04:12

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/employment_issues/761261-Ex-teachers-what-do-you-do-now

BranchingOut Sun 25-Sep-11 14:09:10

There are a few threads about this around. Search for my user name if you like - I have been on a couple.

THe other way to look at it is that if you are doing 9 - 5 hours, then you may be happy to work more days or possibly supplement your income with a bit of tuition. I did inwardly wince when I saw a thread the other day where someone (non teaching) was talking about going back for 4 days a week, working 'extended days' of 8.00 - 6.00 pm.

pudding25 Sun 25-Sep-11 17:12:13

Thanks. Will check out the other thread. I am in London so if there are going to be other options available, London should hopefully be the place to find them-although I don't think plumbing is for me!

Hulababy Sun 25-Sep-11 17:27:29

I left teaching about 5 or 6 years ago now. I became somewhat disillusioned with secondary school teacher after a serious of events and needed to get out before I lost the plot!

I initially went into prison ed. I did some teaching for a couple of months before become an Advice and Guidance worker, doing one to one interviews with prisoners regarding their longer term plans. I needed my teaching qualifications to do this plus did a level 4 qual in advance and guidance on the job. It was really interesting working with the en, they were anythiing from cat A/Lifer and Restricted prisoners downwards, aged from 17y up.

I decided to leave though after a couple of years or so as I needed to work closer to home without an hour's commute. So, I now work as a teaching assistant in a primary school and I have to say that I really enjoy it. i work pt and love the classroom experience, working with year 1 children. Very different to my teaching job. The pay is rubbish though. I may one day, when DD is a little older, return to teaching but in the primary sector.

EBDteacher Sun 25-Sep-11 20:27:49

What about going into Special Education? I find it much more rewarding- I hated mainstream teaching but LOVE my current job. There is still paper work but I like the job enough for it to be worth it IYSWIM.

pudding25 Sun 25-Sep-11 22:14:06

Thanks EBD but I don't think that is for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now