Talk

Advanced search

WWYD - school tomorrow

(31 Posts)
LarryDuff Sun 07-Jun-20 15:58:58

My son is due to go back to school tomorrow but I've been ill since Thursday with corona type symptoms (fever, sore throat, headache, feeling totally wiped out etc). I took a test on Friday which came back as negative (got the result about midnight friday).

I took a turn for the worse Friday night and my temp shot up to 40.6 so 111 advised ring 999 and go to a&e. I was taken to the covid ward and monitored there for about 5 hours. They took blood and urine and put me on a fluid drip. My temp came down to 36 and they found no sign of bacterial infection so told me it was definitely viral and they were surprised by the negative result. They didn't test me again though as they didn't need to admit me, so I was just sent home and told to ring 111 if it got worse.

So, my question is, would you self isolate with husband and son for 2 weeks just to be safe? I think yes although it pains me to say it as we've been desperate to get him back to school. My husband isn't convinced but to be honest he hasn't taken the whole thing very seriously (while I was laying in bed shivering with a fever on Friday night he drank a whole bottle of wine so couldn't drive me to the hospital or to get antibiotics or whatever)

OP’s posts: |
weepingwillow22 Sun 07-Jun-20 16:02:09

I would isolate because even if is not covid passing on another virus with symptoms like covid could cause a lot of unnecessary stress at the moment.

stuckindoors77 Sun 07-Jun-20 16:03:16

Yes, I'm sorry but I would. The fact that you've been placed on a covid ward for a while means that you're more at risk now too. Totally appreciate that this is going to be a blow (I'm in a similar position, just waiting my results and hate not being able to go out for a walk!!) but it's just not worth the risk of spreading it is it?

twinkletoesimnot Sun 07-Jun-20 16:05:52

I absolutely would (sorry). As a teacher it's what worries me most, that people won't be sensible and stay away when they or a family member have symptoms.
It happens all the time with sick bugs.
Hope you feel better soon.

Deelish75 Sun 07-Jun-20 16:06:32

Yes I would isolate. (Correct me if I'm wrong) isn't it only for 7 days if you have symptoms?

twinnywinny14 Sun 07-Jun-20 16:07:16

Yes definitely, I know people who have tested negative and later tested positive. We also don’t know that all tests are accurate so I think it’s best to play it safe here

Sirzy Sun 07-Jun-20 16:07:54

Without a doubt

Deelish75 Sun 07-Jun-20 16:07:56

stuck has a point about being on Covid ward so maybe do 14 days.

SabrinaTheTeenageBitch Sun 07-Jun-20 16:14:23

If this was a classmate and his parent sent him into school in contact with your child how would you feel? Because I would be livid. Add onto that the fact that you have now been in a covid ward of course you should isolate. Its inconvenient yes but so are most things at the moment

StrangeAddiction Sun 07-Jun-20 16:25:25

I would isolate the whole family.

Even if it's not Covid you've got a nasty bug that has seen you go to hospital so why would you want to pass that on to someone else? And yes, you've now been in a Covid ward I'd isolate just because of the risk no matter how small the risk might be.

Geraniumblue Sun 07-Jun-20 16:28:01

Please, please isolate. An unbelievable amount of precaution and preparation has gone in to making schools as safe as possible. They need to be kept that way.

LarryDuff Sun 07-Jun-20 16:28:13

Sabrina I think that is what's happened to us because my son is the most likely source having been at nursery for a few sessions last week. I haven't left the house since last weekend (went for a family walk) and even then didn't get within 5 meters of anyone.

Thanks all it's what I was thinking so I'm now 100% convinced, I definitely don't want to be responsible for anyone else feeling like this, I've never felt so ill in my life

OP’s posts: |
Eminado Sun 07-Jun-20 16:29:34

Just wanted to say hope you feel better soon.

Please isolate.

BogRollBOGOF Sun 07-Jun-20 16:32:45

Isolating is wise, frustrating as the timing is. Whatever it is, you don't want to be sharing it anyway.

GameSetMatch Sun 07-Jun-20 16:39:35

Yes definitely self isolate just incase, you don’t want to bring the whole school down you’ll feel awful!

Orangeblossom78 Sun 07-Jun-20 17:22:57

I read quite a few of those tests for covid don't give the right result (20%?)

Bol87 Sun 07-Jun-20 17:45:38

I would isolate yes but can you get another test? To check again? Or would it be too late now? If you’ve still got symptoms, it’d be interesting to know! You can get a drive through slot within an hour round my way these days..

If a second comes back as negative, I’d be inclined to think it’s something else but seeing as you’ve been on a COVID ward, you at the very least need to isolate!

2007Millie Sun 07-Jun-20 17:48:00

MIL works in a hospital, lots of people who quite clearly have the virus are getting false negatives

As a teacher, please, keep your family isolated.

Elsa8 Sun 07-Jun-20 17:54:23

Yes, you absolutely have to isolate everyone now for the full 14 days. Sorry! Hope you feel better soon.

imsooverthisdrama Sun 07-Jun-20 17:54:55

Do you really need to ask ? Of course isolate . hmm

LilyPond2 Sun 07-Jun-20 17:55:26

Hope you feel better soon, OP. You are definitely doing the right thing self-isolating. You should also let your son's nursery know the situation asap. It sounds like they may already have a Covid outbreak on their hands.

Smellbellina Sun 07-Jun-20 17:57:48

I heard a scientist on Radio 4 saying out of every 100 people with C19 they expected 30 to get a false negative, so yes with those symptoms you all need to isolate I think.

Hope you feel better soon!

Keepdistance Sun 07-Jun-20 18:12:32

Isolate for 14 for being on the covid ward with presumably no mask.
I would let nursery know.

happytoday73 Sun 07-Jun-20 18:17:44

Sorry you've been unwell.
Honestly I'd isolate for 14 days as even if it's not covid 19 it sounds nasty.
Ring up school and let them know.
They will also likely be able to direct you towards local help so don't need to go shopping

CraftyGin Sun 07-Jun-20 18:20:46

Of course you should self-isolate, along with members of your household. Why the doubt?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »