Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to not take my son for his 8 week jabs..

(112 Posts)
Princesaebs Tue 31-Mar-20 04:00:00

My son is due for his 8 week jabs in two weeks and with this virus going around I honestly do not want to take him..the gp is just across the street and I would wrap him up& I would wear a mask and gloves. But what about when we get inside the gp. I'm meant to strip his legs down for the jabs...symptoms take 7 days to show. What if the doctor has the virus and doesn't yet know and is breathing over my baby. If he was to get sick I would NOT take him to the hospital. For them to separate us & tell me I cannot see him?? No way I would keep him home and give him calpol before I let them separate me from my baby. I feel like it's a big risk taking my son out to the doctors surgery to get immunisations. I know it's important..to protect baby from other viruses..flu etc. My 16 month old has had all of his jabs. I haven't left my house in 2 weeks..and my partner hasn't been at work either for the past week although he is a key worker.we have been completely self isolating for the sake of our kids. Am I being unreasonable to think I shouldn't take my son for his jabs? Am I being stupid ? I feel like it is a VERY big risk and wouldn't forgive myself god forbid my baby got sick afterwards

OP’s posts: |
Coyoacan Tue 31-Mar-20 04:10:15

I'm not medical expert, but if you are self-isolating from the corona virus, I would say you are isolating from all the other nasties too and you can wait until you feel safe to go out to take the baby for his vaccines.

Lynda07 Tue 31-Mar-20 04:12:29

I agree with Coyoacan, there really is no need for him to have his jabs right now - he's not meeting anyone who might pass measles etc on to him. I'm actually surprised GP surgeries are open for this at the moment.

Lynda07 Tue 31-Mar-20 04:13:26

PS: Well done you and husband for being so good with the self isolating.

grisen Tue 31-Mar-20 04:16:17

All my sons jabs were delayed by a month, it doesn’t matter if they aren’t bang on time as long as you keep the recommended gap between them. So say you take him for his 8 week at 12 weeks then he gets the 12 week at 16 weeks. That’s what my midwife said anyways.

Thepigeonsarecoming Tue 31-Mar-20 04:24:21

I would ring your GP surgery, if they feel it’s unsafe they will postpone. But I would take advice from medical experts on this

Incontinencesucks Tue 31-Mar-20 04:30:38

I had my sons but i didn't strip him down, just put him in a pair of leggings and beared his legs. Talk to your GP. Mine are running vaccinations as normal and though they suggest you can defer for a few weeks they were very adamant they should be a priority.

Princesaebs Tue 31-Mar-20 04:39:49

I spoke to my Gp and they said it's best to come as baby needs to be protected from other viruses...I'm just so scared to take him out I would feel so guilty if my poor baby got sick!!!

OP’s posts: |
hazandduck Tue 31-Mar-20 04:40:59

We have DD’s booked for next week, she is 8 weeks today. I feel the same as you but my surgery were quite firm the immunisations should still happen, I’m terrified about taking her there 😥

Thepigeonsarecoming Tue 31-Mar-20 04:44:07

If it’s like my gp surgery they are using the emergency exits as door now so no waiting area. You can’t enter reception they redirect you via a buzzer/speaker. Regardless they’ll do everything to make sure your baby isn’t exposed

HeyDuggeewatchadoin Tue 31-Mar-20 04:50:42

It'll probably be fine, wash your hands and his legs. The nurse might wear a mask. But if they say you need to go, then they've risk assessed it and you should go.

frillyfarmer Tue 31-Mar-20 04:55:42

I've got my little girls in three weeks time. The surgery have said they are doing 90% of appointments over the phone, aren't seeing anyone with CV symptoms and basically keeping the surgery as clean and safe as possible for children and the vulnerable who need face to face appointments. I feel reassured but still not happy about it. Like you, the surgery have suggested I do not wait, and I'm not sure medically what the implications of deferring the 8week jabs are.

Thepigeonsarecoming Tue 31-Mar-20 05:03:40

I’m now expert but just read this

*Make sure vaccinations are up to date
Routine vaccination is the safest, most effective way to protect babies and children from illness. So, keep your child's vaccinations up-to-date to minimise the chance they'll need medical attention while the health system is dealing with the coronavirus.*

Thepigeonsarecoming Tue 31-Mar-20 05:07:51

I think the point is your baby isn’t going to get the Coronavirus or at least become ill from it. But if they become ill from something else you could have vaccinated from the hospital may struggle with medical resources. So give them their jabs so they don’t lack medical attention later

Mysocalledlifexx Tue 31-Mar-20 05:08:02

Im sure there has to be a certain amount of time or the jabs wont work aswell as getting them on time.id phone again & ask.
I would go but i would be scared ,my baby had jabs in feb when it first started i was worried and it.

Mysocalledlifexx Tue 31-Mar-20 05:08:42

* about

Spam88 Tue 31-Mar-20 05:13:06

In the nicest possible way, you're being irrational. You say you'd feel awful if they got ill, but you're willing to risk them contracting all sorts of other horrible diseases by not vaccinating them. The fact that you wouldn't seek medical attention if your baby required it is extremely concerning though.

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 31-Mar-20 05:23:43

No way I would keep him home and give him calpol before I let them separate me from my baby.

OK I'm a tiny bit concerned about your mental health. Do you think you're doing OK? Have you spoken to anyone healthcare related recently?

whatswithtodaytoday Tue 31-Mar-20 05:34:33

Baby immunisations are one of the few things GP surgeries are still allowing people in for, because they are so important. What if you end up having to go out for some reason, and you come into contact with something the jabs could have prevented?

It is scary and it is a risk, but it's a risk worth taking and they will do everything possible to prevent infection. My son is having his one year jabs next week - already delayed nearly a month due to illness and then isolation - and I'll be relieved when he's had them.

And you're very unlikely to be seperated from a very young baby in hospital, in the unlikely event you end up there. If you were, it would be because he was very sick and in his best interests - no other reason. Don't believe that scaremongering thing going round about children having to go in an ambulance on their own, it's not true.

LaPufalina Tue 31-Mar-20 05:35:28

My three year old is having her pre-school jabs on Thursday. I'm still taking her, for many reasons! I don't want to be in a long queue later this year and put her at risk when the NHS is already so stretched.

Thepigeonsarecoming Tue 31-Mar-20 05:38:58

@LaPufalina very sensible!

MindyStClaire Tue 31-Mar-20 05:39:52

The sad fact is that this looks like it'll run and run, so delaying will mean delaying for a long time. And not just the 8 week vaccinations, all the ones that follow. I wouldn't be comfortable, as actually many of the diseases vaccinated against are far more scary for a baby to get than CV.

Helenluvsrob Tue 31-Mar-20 05:40:11

Get the immunisations done.
Preventable diseases like the meningitis and invasive pneumococcal disease still happen in a pandemic.
The thing that would happen if you baby got these would be the nhs would be incredibly stretched and treatment might be less than perfect.
You are also more likely to have a missed or delayed diagnosis - a hot grumpy baby amongst many hot grumpy babies.

GoldenOmber Tue 31-Mar-20 05:46:43

For them to separate us & tell me I cannot see him?? No way

Your baby is very very very unlikely to e d up in hospital but even if he did: They would NOT separate you from your baby. This is not true, this is bollocks being passed around Facebook.

bananabob Tue 31-Mar-20 05:47:13

I feel exactly the same as you and my son was due his last week the health visitor said it was fine to delay them for a while because we won't be leaving the house I don't know how long she meant by 'a while' she said she'd just send another appointment letter out.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »