Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Scars - anything I can put on them?

(12 Posts)
undercoverelephant Thu 10-Sep-09 11:24:06

Apart from make up?

DS2 is 3, accident prone and seems to have skin that scars very easily. He has a scratch on his face from several months ago that, although healed, seems to "resurface" from time to time.
Would a moisturiser help? I've used E45 but wondered if anyone knows of a better alternative?
I'm wondering if the scar will ever go!

alibubbles Thu 10-Sep-09 14:43:17

I have just bought some cream called Dermatix. I have just had Carpal tunnel surgery and my scar is very knobbly and uneven. I have used it for a few days and it seems to be improving.

It is expensive, £29.95 but it will obviously last a very long time, the feedback is good. You maya be able to get it on prescription, look hereI thought it was worth a try and would definitely use it on a child's face

undercoverelephant Thu 10-Sep-09 18:14:40

thanks for your reply
It might be a worthwhile investment since DS does seem to falling/bumping into things!

Snowtiger Thu 10-Sep-09 18:18:15

You could try Bio-Oil, good for stretch marks & scars etc, and about a tenner a bottle I think, from Boots. Smells nice too!

ErikaMaye Thu 10-Sep-09 18:20:32

Another vote for Bio-Oil. You do have to keep using it, but does help after a while. You can buy it from most supermarkets and health shops, and also online

undercoverelephant Thu 10-Sep-09 20:23:22

Thanks, I knew there was something you could get in Boots.
Will get some tomorrow!

alypaly Sat 12-Sep-09 00:40:19

bio-oil is supposed to be good

Kissmybooty Sun 13-Sep-09 15:53:21

Bio-oil is expensive but worth it in my poinion. I used it thoughout my pregnancy when I had a huge bump, and I scar easily. I also used it on my breasts while I was pregnant as they had lots of stretch marks on them from my teenage years. I definately had much less visable strtch marks on my breasts by the sime I had my baby, so much so I would wear tops that were lower. I also used it on my bump 2 x day after a shower as I normall scar easily. I did not get ANY stretchmarks in my preganancy. So I would try bio-oil. A little goes a very very long way. You would only need the very smallest bottle.

bruffin Sun 13-Sep-09 17:15:57

when dd burnt he hand we were told to massage the scar with emolliant. It's the massage thats more important than the cream itself.

louisea Sun 13-Sep-09 20:13:26

Vitamin E oil works well on scars.

countrybump Sun 13-Sep-09 20:42:45

Bio oil is great, I've used it myself and DS, and it really does seem to work.

wonderingwondering Sun 13-Sep-09 20:48:32

Another vote for Vitamin E - a cosmetic nurse advised this for a scar on my face which is now barely noticeable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now