Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

whats the signs my dd is dehyrated? 14 1/2 months

(45 Posts)
trace2 Wed 10-Sep-08 19:23:52

shes as runny poos over a week because she had lactose ( shes lactose intolerance) but today we think she asa bug shes been sick still reching but nothing comming up now, but she wont drink, have minl, nothing, she is layed hear onmy knee not moving much, what do i do?

trace2 Wed 10-Sep-08 19:38:44

ok ill phone nhs

trace2 Wed 10-Sep-08 19:48:10

please

wehaveallbeenthere Wed 10-Sep-08 19:53:06

Take her directly to a doctor. Dehydration can kill an infant.
They should have tears, several wet nappies etc.

wehaveallbeenthere Wed 10-Sep-08 19:54:03

Once a child (or anyone else for that matter) gets dehydrated it starts a rise in their core temperature and can damage the organs.

FrazzledFairyFay Wed 10-Sep-08 19:55:16

Oh no trace, poor DD. I can't offer any advice on symptoms, etc but tbh I think if she's lethargic like that and isn't taking any fluid at all then I'd take her straight to a doc.

wehaveallbeenthere Wed 10-Sep-08 19:55:36

Let me know what happens. Good luck.

trace2 Wed 10-Sep-08 19:59:01

vomiting bile nowbut got her to drink a little water still phoning nhs direct

trace2 Wed 10-Sep-08 20:09:33

nhs is rubbish got through 3 times when it stopped ringinmg its cut me of, do i keep trying? oh shit she just brought the tiny bit of water up

ShowOfHands Wed 10-Sep-08 20:11:28

trace m'love, call the out of hours doc please. Just to be on the safe side.

trace2 Wed 10-Sep-08 20:14:26

on phone now

trace2 Wed 10-Sep-08 20:15:30

waiting for nurse to call back

asteamedpoater Wed 10-Sep-08 20:16:53

If her eyes are beginning to look sunken, she's lethargic and her skin when stretched doesn't spring straight back, then get her to hospital quickly - don't wait for NHS direct.

My 2 year old son got severe vomiting and diarrhoea while we were travelling on holiday and by the time we managed to get him to hospital, he was totally lethargic, sunken eyed and had started licking his lips and doing little gasps instead of breathing normally. They put him on a drip straight away.

RhinestoneCowgirl Wed 10-Sep-08 20:18:55

Any fluids you can get into her are good - little sips of water are best, you could try giving her ice to suck on to, just keep offering.

Absolutely right to get it checked out if they start getting lethargic.

Hope DD is better soon.

trace2 Wed 10-Sep-08 20:28:27

now waiting for gp to phone giving her ice pop

asteamedpoater Wed 10-Sep-08 20:34:22

Good idea, trace2 - water alone isn't sufficient to treat anything other than mild dehydration, as she will be losing sugars and salts as well as water. Flat cola has a good balance of sugars and salts, ice lollies are a good way of getting fluids and some sugars into her. Paediatric dioralyte is the best for ensuring the right sort of fluid is getting in to her, but tastes vile, so might not be very acceptable to her tastebuds even if you can get your hands on some! Little sips (or licks if an ice lolly) of fluid are best - if she takes too much in one go, as you've already noticed, she'll just throw it back up again.

Phoenix Wed 10-Sep-08 20:35:44

My msn won't work Trace. Her skin springing back to normal is what i was trying to tell you about but asteamedpoater explained better than me i think

LackaDAISYcal Wed 10-Sep-08 20:36:09

trace, poor Chloe sad, but it sounds like you are getting help. Just wanted to wish her get well vibes.

Let me know if you need anything smile

trace2 Wed 10-Sep-08 20:41:41

thank you all we have to take her to hospital, even if to check ill tell when i know

Phoenix Wed 10-Sep-08 20:45:38

Text me

Phoenix Wed 10-Sep-08 20:46:52

I meant that she has to go in again.

Hope she's ok xx

RhinestoneCowgirl Wed 10-Sep-08 20:48:05

Had to take DS to A&E for something similar a few months ago, they are always happy to check out babies.

Hope you are back home soon.

LackaDAISYcal Wed 10-Sep-08 21:05:05

wishing her well trace xx

Ohforfoxsake Wed 10-Sep-08 21:09:49

oh Trace, Hope she is OK.

LittleMissNorty Wed 10-Sep-08 21:34:39

Trace, fingers crossed...hope she is OK x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now