Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

New mum panic - bathwater dripped in 6 week olds mouth and eyes

(36 Posts)
KeepOnSwimming Tue 09-Aug-11 12:01:41

Will she be ok? Everything is supposed to be sterilised but her bathwater obviously is not - especially as it had her mucky bum in it!

She is breastfed in case that makes a difference...

KeepOnSwimming Tue 09-Aug-11 12:02:55

Oh it happened because she was wriggling was slipping so I splashed her in my rush to hang on to her with both hands...

treedelivery Tue 09-Aug-11 12:03:53

Wipe eyes, never think about it again.

It's fine, not a problem, all is ok.

Cup of tea and a relax.

Congratulations!!

AtYourCervix Tue 09-Aug-11 12:04:25

yes. she'll be fine.

Relax, really it is fine. smile

lostlady Tue 09-Aug-11 12:05:24

Agree absolutely nothing to worry about- they are slippery little things, aren't they? smile

Pootles2010 Tue 09-Aug-11 12:05:28

She will be fine. Everything cannot be sterilised, don't worry!

My little boy had peed into his own face several times by that point grin

Pootles2010 Tue 09-Aug-11 12:06:03

Sorry obviously meant you cannot sterilise everything...

SaulGood Tue 09-Aug-11 12:06:18

She'll have weed in it too you know. grin

Honestly, it's fine. You're not far off her splashing water into her own mouths/eyes. And in a few short months she'll be actively drinking the stuff everytime you glance away.

I promise there's not an infant alive that hasn't drunk the bathwater.

And actually you don't need to sterilise everything. Or even anything. Some people (like me) never bothered.

The water won't harm your baby. And the odd germ here and there is what will build her immune system in the long run.

Relax. NOTHING to worry about.

SoupDragon Tue 09-Aug-11 12:06:19

LOLOL... bless you, i want to hug you smile I remember those days.

She will be fine.

ChunkyPickle Tue 09-Aug-11 12:06:36

absolutely fine (mine used to suck the sponge given half a chance)

You don't milton your breasts after all...

SaulGood Tue 09-Aug-11 12:07:52

Please come back in 3 months when she's licked the pram wheels. When dd did it I was aghast. She just grinned. And was just fine. grin

FourThousandHoles Tue 09-Aug-11 12:09:54

awww poor you, newborn days are grim aren't they? all sense and reason goes out of the window, especially when it's child #1

she will be fine

really she will

far worse will happen and she will still be fine

go and have a fag/cuppa/choc/cake and relax

TeenageWildlife Tue 09-Aug-11 12:12:51

Wait until she's crawling and licks the dustpan and brush! Germs are good immune builders.

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Tue 09-Aug-11 12:18:58

I am filled with nostalgia for the newborn days, suddenly.

I never sterilised anything except bottles to hold expressed breast milk. What else is one supposed to sterilise?

KeepOnSwimming Tue 09-Aug-11 12:19:12

Ah thank you! Just started crying as well - I know I'm being daft but cant help it!

Cyclebump Tue 09-Aug-11 12:21:44

Don't panic, our DS has been a splasher from the beginning and I too worried at first when it went into eyes, nose and mouth. He's now 19 weeks and a robust wriggler who still splashes!

WhipMeIndiana Tue 09-Aug-11 12:23:51

<whispers> my 22mth old chewed the toilet brush

....on two occasions - he must've liked it! grin

he is still alive.

MrsRhettButler Tue 09-Aug-11 12:24:35

Aww bless smile

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Tue 09-Aug-11 12:25:09

Oh, you poor love!

Yes, do remember that baby boys are perfectly capable of weeing into their own eyes from birth. And that the human race is a resilient thing.

What else are you sterilising?

treedelivery Tue 09-Aug-11 12:27:34

Oh bless you. Have a good cry and a slab of chocolate.

Remember what your baby went through to get born!! Hardy little buggers.

Lots of people don't sterilise.

KeepOnSwimming Tue 09-Aug-11 12:27:34

Sterilising dummies (which she wont take actually, but I keep trying to give my poor chewed nipples a break), and being a hand washing fanatic.... was thinking that you only give babies boiled water to drink, so only boiled water should go in their mouths....

Paschaelina Tue 09-Aug-11 12:28:27

I sterilised my Boy's plastic teething necklace when he was about 4 months old. In a steam steriliser. It melted together and formed strange new shapes. That was the last time anything but expressing equipment was sterilised.

Now he spends most of his time trying to get his hands down the toilet. I've given up worrying.

KeepOnSwimming Tue 09-Aug-11 12:28:48

... not that I am giving her water as she is breastfed btw!

Paschaelina Tue 09-Aug-11 12:30:42

You know you can squirt breastmilk in her eye to wash it out, its a good antiseptic and personal experience shows its very good for gungy eyes...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now